Missing "In" if no editors (Unified style sheet for linguistics)

edited January 1, 2019
When no editors are included in a book section or conference paper entry, the title of the book is not preceded by "In", for the Unified style sheet for linguistics.

For all other styles, I see "In" either used or not used consistently in the Style Preview window, so it doesn't seem to be general practice to omit "In" if there are no editors. (As for Linguistics there is no specific guideline I am aware of one way or the other, but the general assumption is that the style should inherit traditional usage from other major styles like APA.)

The reason this is happening is that "In" is being added in the container-contributors macro and therefore skipped over if there are none. It is simple to fix conceptually, but I'm not sure of best practice to add it. (The Unified style sheet for linguistics is arranged in a sort of strange hierarchical way, and it works, though it could be re-organized to be easier to correct/modify.)

Any suggestions would be great. I might try adding a "container" macro as in APA, but I wouldn't want to overcomplicate this style if not necessary.

--

Here's an example of the incorrect citation form:
Andersen, Vilhelm. 1894. Sammenfald og Berøring: Et bidrag til Dansk Betydningslære. Festskrift til Vilhelm Thomsen fra disciple, udgivet i anledning af hans femogtyveårige doktorjubliaeum, 23 marts 1869-23 marts 1894, 258–308. København: Gyldendalske Boghandels Forlag.

Correction: add the word "In" before the book title ['Festskrift...'].

This obviously occurs very rarely for chapters in edited volumes (hence the unusual 1894 Danish reference above, the first one I found in my library*), but I think I've seen it somewhat more often for conference proceedings papers.

--
*By the way, is there any easy way in Zotero's advanced search to look for entries that have editors vs. authors (e.g., book sections without editors listed)?
  • Yes, I agree that should be fixed. Not having looked at the style, moving the "in" into a separate macro is probably the easiest thing to do. PR welcome.

(And no on the btw -- it's not possible to search for creators by type).
  • Bump, if you don't mind: I'm not quite sure of the logic on how to implement this.
  • The quarantine is making clean up the backlog of citation style requests/edits.

I've had a go at fixing this. Could you check, especially if I've introduced any mistakes?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/442d861bf0917f8e902f271d9fc968cbcadef38c/unified-style-sheet-for-linguistics.csl
  • edited March 19, 2020
    Thanks for checking on this.

Yes, that did fix the problem. But it introduced one error. Everything else looks the same as before. I've checked against a number of item types.

The unintended change is now a missing comma after "(ed.)":
    Abdoulaye, Mahamane L. 2004. Comitative, coordinating, and inclusory constructions in Hausa. In Martin Haspelmath (ed.) Coordinating Constructions, 165–193. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. doi:10.1075/tsl.58.10abd.
    There should be a comma:
    Abdoulaye, Mahamane L. 2004. Comitative, coordinating, and inclusory constructions in Hausa. In Martin Haspelmath (ed.), Coordinating Constructions, 165–193. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. doi:10.1075/tsl.58.10abd.
    Note that there should be no comma added after "(ed.)" for creators when citing the whole edited volume (no author):
    Haspelmath, Martin (ed.). 2004. Coordinating Constructions. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. doi:10.1075/tsl.58.
    (That is and has been correct. I'm just mentioning it to avoid having that get changed along with the problem above.)
  • Looks perfect to me. I'd say this is fixed, unless there are any odd edge cases I haven't thought of. It works for standard entries across various types.

--
    By the way, one oddity with this style is that it still has the "doi:" prefix instead of "http://....". If that's quick/easy to fix, why not?
  • That's an easy fix. Is that in the guidelines? Didn't find it.
  • I don't believe the guidelines specify either way, and I'm sure that linguists would be happy to go along with the current DOI standard.
  • Yes, if the guidelines don’t specifically ask for “DOI:” we should definitely default to https://doi.org/