Unable to import RIS files from Ref Manager in latest 2.0b

trying to import from reference manager - I get dialog box "Improting" but it never ends, and then I see zotero has an error and wants Firefox restarted. Several beta2 versions ago I successfully imported hunders of entries. Same methods, cleaning characters out of the file, and fixing PDF locations, doesnt work this time.
Report ID 1787988770
debug output emailed in...
thanks
  • I don't know if my problem is related to yours, but thought I'd give it a try. I'm trying similarly trying to import RIS data [from a custom app] and get a hanging "importing" dialog box.

It seems to work with the data imported from clipboard but hangs when importing the same data in the file "foo.txt".

As best I can tell through some debugging, when importing from the file, both the RDF and RIS translators say they can handle it (detectImport = true). Then control seems to be given to the RDF translator, which then generates an error. When imported from the clipboard, the RDF translator doesn't seem to be given a chance to evaluate the data, so it is handled successfully by the RIS translator.

Questions:
    (1) Shouldn't import from clipboard and file function identically?
    (2) Perhaps the RDF.detectImport needs to be more discriminating?

To the original poster, could you try importing your data via the clipboard and see if that works?

Hope this helps and look forward to getting some feedback from the developers.

Thanks for a great product.

--Rob
  • Rob: Give the file a .ris extension. This is a known issue in 2.0b6.2 that will be fixed shortly.
  • Fantastic, worked a charm. Thanks, Dan!

FWIW, I think in RIS.js, the while scanner in detectImport should be checking for the boolean value false rather than the string "false". If it gets to the end of file before determining if it's valid RIS or not, it throws an uncaught exception by trying to do line.replace(...) on an empty object.

--Rob
  • the while scanner in detectImport should be checking for the boolean value false rather than the string "false"
    Fixed, thanks.