[5.0 Beta] - error on linux related to libnss3.so

2»
  • have you tried installing libnss3-dev?
  • @adamsmith It's already installed. Always been. This happens to me on multiple machines as well.
  • Installing libnss3-dev solved it for me.
  • This issue also happened to me. Installing libnss-3-dev only fixed the problem temporarily.

Only applying the fix from njs fixed the issue for now.
  • Hello, I'm running

Kernel: 4.19.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.98-1 (2020-01-26)
    Zotero: 5.0.83

and this error exists on my system as well now (didn't a while back).

I attempted the workaround script provided by @njs and I can confirm it "solves" the issue.

I then undid the script work-around and installed "libnss3-dev" (which depends on "libnspr4-dev") per @kktkht and this ALSO solved the issue.

Personally, IMHO, the script workaround is a cleaner solution since nothing else requires additional packages...especially 'dev' packages when not developing.
  • I've just downloaded the zotero binaries and the zotero start script doesn't set LD_LIBRARY_PATH -- what workaround did you apply?
  • I've also just installed the debs and I can open PDFs without issue.

• I created a script called "zotero-evince" which contains:

#!/bin/sh
    unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    exec evince "$@"

Make sure you make it executable and then point Zotero's config to use this script as the custom PDF viewer (Preferences -> General -> Open PDFs Using...).
  • I'm still curious why that has helped. I can open evince without issue in Zotero on Ubuntu 19.10, and I can't find the string LD_LIBRARY_PATH anywhere in the Zotero source.
  • edited March 5, 2020
    I also get this error on a recently installed Zotoro 5.0.84 on Ubuntu 19.10.
    I've also experienced this problem randomly off and on in the past.
  • Thanks Denis Becquet!

I indeed solved my problem with:
    sudo apt install libnss3-dev

Restart Zotero. Then everything works!
  • I started seeing this for the first time today with Zotero 5.0.94 on Ubuntu 18.04 using the Cinnamon desktop environment. I have configured evince as my PDF viewer system-wide.

Restarting Zotero (without installing any additional packages) fixed it for now at least.
  • I ran on this issue when updating to version 5.0.95 on elementary os.
    Simply closing zotero and opening it again solved the problem.
  • Hit this one after updating to 5.0.96.3 on Ubuntu 20.04.
    Restart solved it.
  • Thanks @njs for explaining the issue.
    Bug found in zotero 6.0.6 and Debian 11.
    Fixed by unsetting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  • Used to be fine, just have this issue today. Maybe not a problem of LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Zotero is set to use the system's default pdf viewer. If I set the default viewer to ubuntu's document viewer, this problem happens. However, when using WPS pdf, everything works fine.