Context menu can be painfully slow

I'm organizing my library and using Zotfile to store things. So my work flow these days is:

Scan a document as a pdf
Link to the document from the corresponding reference in Zotero by using right-click > Add attachment > Attach Link to File ... and then selecting the document pdf file
Right-click > Manage Attachments > Rename Attachments

This requires the reference's context menu to appear twice, once to link to the document file and once to store it by using Zotfile's Rename Attachments facility. The context menu seems to come up quickly, at a normal pace, the first time (to do the linking), but it can be painfully slow the second time (to use Manage Attachments). It's so slow that, for example, I can go downstairs and microwave a cup of tea for two minutes, come back up, and find the context menu is still hiding. What's strange is that in both cases it's the same context menu, but the second appearance can take [what seems like] forever.

Any idea about what's going on and how to fix this?
  • Same here for me, if anyone has the same problem I'm interested!
  • Not sure it will log anything, but can you provide a Debug ID for right-clicking and seeing a delay before the menu appears? You can do it via the View Output window to make sure you're clearing the output right before and not capturing anything else.

Does this still happen if ZotFile and other extensions are disabled in Tools → Add-ons?
  • Hi,

Here is the Debug ID : D1830990793 (I hope it's how it's supposed to be, I activated it just before doing the action.
    So my actions are: I link the file the 1st time and that works ok. Then it takes time to right click to access the menu and rename the file, the file finally get renamed after a bit but I usually click a second time on the rename action to actually move it to the right folder I defined in my settings.
    I tried to do it without automated synchronization which didn't change anything it seems.
    It seems to be slow as well when I disable extensions.
    Maybe the fact that Zotero is indexing the pdf?

I always did that and put up with the time it takes to do this and thought it was just normal when I realised maybe it's not the same for everyone!

Thanks for your help!
  • I always did that and put up with the time it takes to do this and thought it was just normal when I realised maybe it's not the same for everyone!
    No, right-clicking should be instantaneous. If it's not, there's something wrong.
    Maybe the fact that Zotero is indexing the pdf?
    It's easy enough to check. Disable ZotFile, restart Zotero, add a linked file, wait 30 seconds (longer than necessary, but just to be safe) to make sure both indexing and syncing have finished, and then right-click, and see if there's still a delay before the menu appears. If there is, restart and try to capture just that operation — again, making sure that View Output is completely clear before you right-click, and submitting as soon as the menu appears.