Option of "suppress year" possible ?

Hello,

its very helpful that you can already cite with an suppressed author to follow the apa style of 'author (year)'.

But to follow the apa 7th style of direct cites like:

author (2002) investigates on "ciritical things" (p. 3)

one need to insert a cite with suppressed author and the page (2002, p.3) and then edit the cite with the editor and delete the year. But then, its not refreshed anymore.

So would be possible to add a "suppress-year-box" to the pop-up menu in a future Zotero word plugin update ?

Thank you very much and regards,

Marc
  • No -- I'd suggest just typing the page numbers manually in those situations. If you are to change things around, you'd have to modify the citation anyway.
  • Hello Adam,

thank you very much for the fast response!

Do you mean with "change things around", that i built my own citation style ? Because that is not the case. Its the official APA style to cite like i described above. So including an option to Zotero to do so in an easy way would make sense not only for me, i guess.

But of course, its your decision. I can handle zotero even with manually insert the pages. Its just less comfortable.

Thanks for Zotero anyway !

Regards,
    Marc

• No, I just mean that there's little benefit to inserting a "suppress author and year" type citation with Zotero as opposed to just writing the page number in Word:
    - You have already cited the item, so it's in the bibliography anyway
    - If you move the preceding citation, you still have to update the suppress author and year one since that's no longer properly formatted.

In other words, this just takes longer and doesn't automate anything for you. I don't think it's particularly likely we'd add support for this.
  • That format is also no longer as strongly recommended in the 7th edition of the APA manual (and it was a pretty unhelpful format in any event). I would recommend always including the author/year along with the page number in such citations for clarity to the reader. For example, instead of ‘John et al. (2009) said “research is good” (pp. 21–22)’, go with ‘ John et al. (2009, pp. 21–22) said “research is good.”

That is cognitively much less demanding on the reader.
  • I second the request to add a "suppress year" button on the Zotero citation module. Often supervisors or editors require the (p. 123) syntax in APA citations. And during editing of content, the name (year) opener of a paragraph may become disassociated from its (p. nnn) partner. I started a longer (150 pages) work with using the standard zotero (yyyy, p. nnn) format but then had to manually remove the yyyy from within the brackets. I did not simply want to manually write (p. nnn) into the text as I really like to keep all citations linked to the source for consistency.
    Adding a "suppress year" checkbox on citations would seem to be straight forward and the code would mirror the "suppress author" pattern. So a copy-paste effort of the relevant methods with minor changes.
    It would really help I think to do this.

And while I have your ear: In the Zotero standalone app and website can we have a right-click -> preview citation menu item? Or better, have a citation preview tab between the "Info" and "Notes" tab, please, that in real-time shows how citations and references look for a selected item? I end up having a word doc open into which I paste references generated by Zotero when entering a new item into the database just to preview if the reference is generated correctly. Having the option to see it right in Zotero for a preferred style would be fantastic.
  • Would like to voice my support for this option as well. APA 7 states very plainly, "For a narrative citation, include the author and year in the sentence and then place the page number or other location information in parentheses after the quotation" and so it seems to me that this is a pretty obvious and common use case.

The previous argument that "You have already cited the item, so it's in the bibliography anyway" doesn't make any sense if you're using narrative citations and have to do the citation manually because there is no "suppress year" option. If you do the citation manually every time it's not going to show up in the bibliography!
  • See: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5282/multiple-in-text-citation-patterns/
    (Not currently possible in Zotero, and no progress on implementing it.)

Note that if you use at least the year (with suppress author), then the item will be in your bibliography. I completely agree this should be automated, though. (See that discussion for a link to an awkward macro I wrote for Word that will do this, but probably isn't an ideal solution for most users.)