Ghost group library - how to remove?

Hi,

I have two group libraries shown in my Zotero application, but one of them can neither be seen my web account nor in the preferences' sync-options. It is empty (I slightly remembering setting it up, but dont need it anymore).

So, first am I right that there should not be a default group library, so this must be my doing?

Second, how can I delete it?

I run Zotero 5.0.80 on MacOS 10.15.2 (Catalina). I use a Webdav sync to an owncloud server and until recently I had sync for the other library turned off.
  • In my case this is a group library that I left that's still in my clients.

Would also be curious how to delete that. Let me know if you need group ids, some sort of debug (for what operation) or anything else.
  • @lindows: Is this a different account from the one you're posting from? You're not in any groups currently.

@adamsmith: This is different from your earlier issue?
  • Hi, sorry for late answer. Was not pushed that an answer was there.

No, its the same account.

btw: I am synching my data with a webdav to an university server. Might that be it?
  • Well, but again, though, your current account isn't in any groups, so I'm unclear why you're saying that only one of the items can't be seen in your web account. You wouldn't be seeing any groups in your current account. Though it looks like you deleted the second group the same day you posted, so maybe you did that around the same time?

When you delete a group online, the Zotero app prompts you whether you want to delete the group locally or keep it as a read-only version. If you chose the latter, you should be able to right-click on the group to delete it permanently.

WebDAV is irrelevant for data syncing.
  • Thanks for reply soon fast. Yep, I did delete the other at the day (or so) I started this thing here. Problem is still there, now like this: My only account does not show any group anymore, but my Zotero Application does show me a "uni-home".

I uploaded a screenshot on my twitter, see here: https://twitter.com/SlineL/status/1220430468874719232

• Right, but did you try what I suggested?
  • I misread, sorry again.

The menu says of this uni-home lets me only do the following things: a) sync ; b) add a new collection; c) save a search; d)export it or e) update citations (my translation, running it in German)

I try syncing it, so it might be shown in my account (and then delete). waiting ..

I just found this uni-home in the Preferences>Sync>Reset menu. There it is in the dropdown menu next to my library.
  • Are you able to add an item to it locally? If so, if you do that and then sync it, I believe you'll get a prompt to delete it.

• I already had one in there, nothing happened since then. zotero is still syncing though (I remember having problems there, but ignored it). It keeps on syncing and syncing.

If I chose libraries to sync under Preferences>sync>preferences>choose libraries I only find my own library, not library called uni-home
  • edited January 24, 2020
    It keeps on syncing and syncing.
    What do you mean by that, exactly? The sync icon keeps spinning? If so, can you restart Zotero and provide a Debug ID for a few minutes of that?

If you mean that it spins for a second and then stops without prompting you for anything, go to the Config Editor in the Advanced pane of the preferences and search for extensions.zotero.sync.librariesToSkip and let us know the current value.
  • Its the first thing: it spins constantly. here is the ID: D1393934856
  • That just shows uploading of a >600 MB file in your personal library. It was almost done when you submitted the output, though there are previous error messages in the report from your WebDAV server saying the file is too big. You should find that attachment (paste XBLHT5PN into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode in the root of My Library), delete it, and empty the trash.

None of this is related to the group, though. Again, you can just right-click on the group and choose Sync to sync only that library.
  • Hi,

yep, I deleted it. and voila: "You are no longer a member of the group ‘uni-home’. Would you like to remove it from this computer or keep it as a read-only library?"

two more things:
    is there a limit for file size? How do I find the biggest files, so I might remove them (and link them instead)? (I found in the forum a hint that I have to do it outside zotero)
    AND: the webdav limit coming from zotero or the server? (you indicated server, so just to be sure)

• is there a limit for file size?
    For Zotero Storage, I believe it's currently 3 GB. For WebDAV, it depends on your server.
    is there a limit for file size? How do I find the biggest files, so I might remove them (and link them instead)? (I found in the forum a hint that I have to do it outside zotero)
    You can use a tool for your operating system that shows disk usage within a given folder, and then paste the 8-character folder name into Zotero in All Fields & Tags mode to find the attachment in question. After moving the attachment item to the trash, be sure to empty the trash.
    the webdav limit coming from zotero or the server?
    It's from your WebDAV server.