Word 2008 PlugIn is not working - Leaves Office if trying to Add Citation

2»
  • edited August 28, 2009
    No, unfortunately not.

But after typing
    FG1-MacBook-R403:~ "username"$ cd /Users/"username"/Documents/Microsoft-Benutzerdaten/Word\ Script\ Menu\ Items/Zotero

and
    python MacWord.py addCitation

i've got al lot of Info

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "MacWord.py", line 45, in <module>
    from appscript import *
    File "/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/appscript-0.19.0-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/appscript/__init__.py", line 11, in <module>
    File "/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/appscript-0.19.0-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/aem/__init__.py", line 6, in <module>
    File "/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/appscript-0.19.0-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/aem/ae.py", line 7, in <module>
    File "/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/appscript-0.19.0-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg/aem/ae.py", line 4, in __bootstrap__
    File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py", line 835, in resource_filename
    self, resource_name
    File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py", line 1304, in get_resource_filename
    self._extract_resource(manager, self._eager_to_zip(name))
    File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py", line 1326, in _extract_resource
    self.egg_name, self._parts(zip_path)
    File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py", line 915, in get_cache_path
    self.extraction_error()
    File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py", line 881, in extraction_error
    raise err
    pkg_resources.ExtractionError: Can't extract file(s) to egg cache

The following error occurred while trying to extract file(s) to the Python egg
    cache:

[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/"username"/.python-eggs'

The Python egg cache directory is currently set to:

/Users/"username"/.python-eggs

Perhaps your account does not have write access to this directory? You can
    change the cache directory by setting the PYTHON_EGG_CACHE environment
    variable to point to an accessible directory.
  • That's odd.

Try these commands in Terminal and tell us the output:

whoami
    ls -ld /Users/christophze/
    ls -ld /Users/christophze/.python-eggs/
  • edited August 28, 2009
    whoami
    "username"

ls -ld /Users/"username"/
    drwxr-xr-x 16 edv staff 544 18 Jun 2008 /Users/"username"/

ls -ld /Users/"username"/.python-eggs/
    ls: /Users/"username"/.python-eggs/: No such file or directory
  • Your home directory is owned by someone other than you (i.e., user 'edv'). You'll need to fix that. You might be able to do so by doing a Get Info on the home directory, clicking the lock in the bottom right, opening the gear drop-down at the bottom and choosing "Make christophze (Me) the owner". Beyond that suggestion, though, you're on your own.
  • Thanks for your support and the patience in helping a user without much experience in the deeper layers of the mac universe.

With this info I try to work out a solution with my admin, but i do know now lot more then before our conversation.

I keep you informed if there is a solution.

Thanks
    Christoph
  • Just to recap for those joining this thread late, Christoph was actually suffering from two problems:

1) The necessary components for the Word 2008 plugin were not all installed. This may or may not have been a common problem, but the newest experimental plugin installer appears to resolve this problem. It will likely fix most others' problems (such as Basti.13's).

2) Christoph's home directory on his OS X machine is not currently "owned" by Christoph's user account. This arrangement is a highly unusual, and there is no practical security situation why it should be the case. We cannot resolve this problem on our end, because Christoph is effectively not allowed to write to his own user space on his machine. Once Christoph can overcome this obstacle, we expect our code to work.
  • Wow, you guys kinda got ahead of me. Anyways, I tried to do all the stuff you proposed but the plugin is still not working.

Step by step:

If I type "cd " in Terminal.app, followed by a space and without the quotes and then drag the zotero folder to Terminal and press enter I get the following:

bastis-macbook-pro:Zotero Basti$

Nothing else happens.

If I then type: python MacWord.py addCitation the Mac seems to be doing something for a second and then I get this again:

The plugin is still not working. I reinstalled it as well using the link in this thread.

If I enter: ls /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/

I get:
    README
    appscript-0.19.0-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg
    appscript-0.19.0-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.pth

So what am I doing wrong here? And sean, you are talking about a new experimental plugin. Is that the one in this thread? Or where can I download it from!

Even though it is not working yet, thanks a lot for all your efforts. I really appreciate it!

Basti.
  • After having a chat with my admin he changed the rights for my home directory back to me, wondering how the hell this could have happened.
    Now Zotero works like a charm and I'm a happy user again.

Therefore I am able to do the next steps to establish a Zotero Group Library for my research group.

Thanks again for the support, especially cause the problem was completely on my side.
    @basti13: sorry for seizing your thread, I hope there is also a solution for you

Christoph
  • Hey, it's me again. Zotero is still not working. Tried to reinstall but still the same things happen when I do what you proposed.

Any ideas or interpretations of the output I get from Terminal?

I'd really appreciate it!

Basti.
  • Basti: Have you tried the experimental version of the plugin that Sean linked to above?
  • If you are referring to this version: https://www.zotero.org/svn/integration/python/trunk/MacWord/Packaging/Zotero%20Microsoft%20Word%202008%20Integration.dmg

then yes!

Still same results
  • And after installing that version, you still get no output from the addCitation command above?
  • no, the exact same thing.

updated my word yesterday as well. I really don't know what is happening here.

Basti
  • Try following the instructions above, but using the command
    python 'MacWord 2008.py' addCitation
    instead of
    python MacWord.py addCitation
  •  now I get this:

bastis-macbook-pro:~ Basti$ cd /Users/Basti/Documents/Microsoft-Benutzerdaten/Word\ Script\ Menu\ Items/Zotero
    bastis-macbook-pro:Zotero Basti$ python MacWord 2008.py addCitation
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file 'MacWord': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  • otherwise (as usual) this:

bastis-macbook-pro:Zotero Basti$ python MacWord.py addCitation
  • You need to have quotes (single or double; it shouldn't matter) around "MacWord 2008.py"
  • same thing:

Last login: Tue Jul 7 20:22:04 on ttys000
    bastis-macbook-pro:~ Basti$ cd /Users/Basti/Documents/Microsoft-Benutzerdaten/Word\ Script\ Menu\ Items/Zotero python 'MacWord 2008.py' addCitation
  • I dunno why, but I uninstalled Zotero completely again, reinstalled it and it seems to work. I'll keep you updated in case something does not funtion. Thanks a lot for all your help!

Basti.