Username and password not saved

This discussion was created from comments split from: Unable to sync - login information not accepted.
  • edited December 22, 2019
    Hi, I am hoping you can help me. I am using 5.0.80. Report ID 1405136881. I am having the same error as this user. I just downloaded the latest version on a Microsoft Surface Pro 7. However, It doesn't seem to recognize my password, and the link to "lost password" on the downloaded version does nothing when I click on it. I tried changing the password, thinking that I simply didn't remember it. However, the issue is the same. The password works fine online. Just not on the download. Any ideas?

Postscript: It returns no error message, just wipes the password box clean and nothing else happens. When I try syncing, it merely repeats the error to tell me I need to add my sync information.
  • Postscript: It returns no error message, just wipes the password box clean and nothing else happens.
    Can you explain what you mean by that? What exactly are you doing, step by step, including everything you're clicking on, and what are you seeing?
  • edited December 23, 2019
    Thanks for getting back. Here is the play by play:

1. When I open Zotero, it shows no library.
    2. When I click the synch wheel, I get the red exclamation and a message window pops up to tell me I need to add my username and password into the synch preferences.
    3. When I click on the “open synch preferences” link, it brings up the window to add my username and password.
    4. When I add the username and password, the preferences window merely goes away. However, Zotero still does not sync, telling me I need to add in my sync preferences again. So, it’s in a loop. The problem seems to be at the authentication level.

Another point that might be related is that the links in the sync preferences window allowing you to change your password, create account, etc., appear to be inactive. Nothing happens when I click on them.

I have the same version, 5.0.80, on my standard laptop and it is working fine, even after I changed my password last night. It automatically synced to the new password without my intervention. I wonder if something got corrupted in the download of 5.0.80. Would uninstalling and re-installing make a difference?
  • When I add the username and password, the preferences window merely goes away.
    You're missing something here. Can you explain exactly where you're typing and what you're clicking on when the window closes?
  • edited December 23, 2019
    I wish we had an ability to upload screenshots. The four points that I outlined above are exactly what I am doing. The issue seems to be under the Zotero preferences window/sync/settings window. This is the window that pops up after it fails to sync and requests that I input sync settings. In that settings window (under Data Syncing), it is asking for my username and password. When I add them and click ok, the window merely goes away as if it has accepted the inputs and takes me back to the empty library interface. However, it still does not sync, and the red exclamation point remains by the sync wheel. When I click the sync wheel again, it merely takes me back through the same process. I am certain the username and password are correct.

Is this making more sense? I'm doing my best to describe it, however this is exactly what it happening. If it helps, the latest report ID is #621591444.

• I wish we had an ability to upload screenshots.
    If necessary, you can just upload a screenshot somewhere (e.g., Dropbox) and provide a link here.
    The four points that I outlined above are exactly what I am doing.
    It's not — you said you entered your password and the window closed, which has to be incomplete. Entering your password just means typing your password, and presumably the window didn't close while you were typing. So I'm asking what exactly you did in the window after typing it. That's the level of detail we need.
    In that settings window (under Data Syncing), it is asking for my username and password. When I add them and click ok
    OK, that's more helpful. It sounds like you're not clicking "Set Up Syncing" after entering your password? You have to do that before closing the window.
  • You nailed it. I wasn't clicking "set up syncing". That seems to be doing it. It's syncing now. Thanks for the tip on posting a link with screenshots the next time I have an issue that I am having a hard time explaining. I will keep that in mind.