Possible bugs with group libraries

I noticed a couple of issues with group libraries.

1) If a group library is selected as the active collection and Zotero is set to import PDF files, then the PDFS are included in the group library even though this should not be possible. If I drag and drop from group library to my library the attachments do not follow.

2) In the word plugin, the items in the group library cannot be cited if they are not in my library also.
  • Duly noted. We're on it.
  • In reference to the second one, I'm actually not able to reproduce it, myself. Is there anything else unusual about the items you're trying to site?
  • The second one was a stupid user error. I did not understand that group libraries are not part of my library. I assumed that they would work like a collection. In other words, when I was entering a citation my library was chosen as a default and naturally I could not find the newly added things that were in the group library.

Although it would be useful to search from all references that are stored in the database, this is not a bug.

Sorry for not replying that this was my error rather than a bug in the software.
  • #1 is actually by design.

When you copy items from your local library to a group library, a link is kept behind the scenes. This link isn't used for anything at the moment other than preventing repeated drags of the same item, but it will later be used to allow syncing/merging between local and group items—including, possibly, copying over attachments into the group library. That attachments don't copy over now when you first drag the items is a temporary limitation.

When you save items directly to a group library, there's no other copy of the file and would be no way to automatically add them in the future, which is why the attachments aren't discarded. Granted, this may cause some confusion among group members in the interim, but when there is group storage support, the problem will fix itself as long as someone still has the files in their Zotero library.
  • I have a question about this. When you say "when there is group storage support, the problem will fix itself...". Does that mean that it is possible that one day, all of our attachments will suddenly appear in our group libraries (if there was an attachment in someone's personal library, and the citation was dragged from the personal library)? This would be an issue for us - will we have the option to hide or mask the attachments, at least for public groups? Would we be able to choose to just have metadata appear in a given group library?
  • I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but anyway here it is:

I am unable to copy notes (both standalone notes and child-notes) from my personal library to my group library. Is there a way to fix this problem?
  • I have the same questions as Esther.
  • I have the same issue as Esther.
  • esther/ves/kdpluymers: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8359/groups-and-item-notes/
  • In case someone else has the same problem: I was not able to drag an item back from a group library after making changes on it, even though I removed it from my local library.

After reading Dan's post about the hidden link, it occured to me that maybe this link was still in the library, because deleted items are moved to the recycle bin (Papierkorb in my localized German version). Emptying the recycle bin solved the problem.