Importing RIS file on web version

Is there a way to import an RIS file to my library on the web version or do you have to do it on the desktop version? I just can't seem to figure it out.
  • Not currently possible, sorry. (For now, you really want to be using the desktop app for any sort of significant work.)
  • But I thought the web and desktop systems synced? So if I can't add anything to the web version, I am forced to work from only one computer?
  • But I thought the web and desktop systems synced? So if I can't add anything to the web version, I am forced to work from only one computer?
    Right, because they sync, you can work on any computer. Any changes you make to Zotero on computer A sync to computer B via the web.
    (Also, to be clear, you can add items on the web; just not via import)
  • Any possibility that importing .ris files into the Zotero web version will be available in the near future?
  • Yes, this feature is generally planned but we don't have a date yet.

• I'm also interested in this functionality (importing .ris files into the Zotero web version)
  • any updates on this yet?
  • Wow, August 2023 and you still can't import ris files into zotero online... Why would anyone switch from end note when you all can't even be bothered to implement ingest of one of the most common formats on the planet from likely your largest competitor?
    Boggles the mind that Zotero still hasn't added this functionality, parsing RIS files is like a 10 line script that could be written by GPT.
  • @TimeScience:

1) See Etiquette, and don't post here like this again.

2) You seem to be very confused. Zotero has supported RIS import since its very first version 17 years ago. When people talk about "Zotero", they're almost always referring to the desktop app, and as I say above, that's what you want to be using for any significant work, including file-based import. A file import could be a few entries, or it could be 100,000 entries, so supporting that in the web library is not at all simple. We'll probably be adding support for it relatively soon, but it's just not remotely a priority when the vast majority of Zotero users, and particularly those coming from other software, use the desktop app.
    parsing RIS files is like a 10 line script that could be written by GPT
    3) You're off by a couple orders of magnitude, but thanks for the suggestion. Fortunately we wrote the code for this in 2006.
  • Is there the possibility that this will be added to at least the apps? Currently as well as during my previous graduate school experiences, I am reliant on shared computers that I cannot install software on and my smart devices. Being able to use the desktop version would require me to purchase brand new system.

And this emphasis on the desktop version is new to me. Anytime Zotero has been mentioned in a classroom or a library workshop, the emphasis been on the web version since it can be used anywhere.
  • edited October 9, 2023
    And this emphasis on the desktop version is new to me. Anytime Zotero has been mentioned in a classroom or a library workshop, the emphasis been on the web version since it can be used anywhere.
    @jhearen: Not sure what to tell you — that's just kind of bizarre. Pretty much anyone knowledgeable about Zotero who talks about "Zotero" is going to be talking about the desktop app. That's what we show on the homepage, it's what all documentation on the site is about, and it's what almost all of the discussions in these forums are about (with most of the rest being about iOS). The web library has become increasingly capable, and we'll continue to improve it, but it is and will continue to be vastly less powerful than the desktop app.

But yes, adding import support to both the web library and the mobile apps is planned.
  • > But yes, adding import support to both the web library and the mobile apps is planned.

could you give us a timeline on that, or something like "there are X features planned before that"?
  • Zotero has almost never given feature ETAs (and when they did, they weren't reliable). You'll have to contend with 'it'll happen eventually ' (and roadmaps aren't linear, so x features before it isn't meaningful)
  • Using the desktop app is not always practical. For example when you work at a computer of a library, or when you are working from someone else's computer. Please do not take this request lightly, for me (and I am sure for others) that is a major reason to decide which citation editor to use.