APA Style (7th ed)

• It’s available for testing. You can install it by downloading the file linked here and then double clicking on it to install into Zotero. Note that it has the same ID as the current APA 6 style, so it might get overwritten periodically by Zotero. If that happens, you can just double click to reinstall it.
  • Where you say "install it by downloading the file linked here", where is "here"? I can't see a link.
    Thanks,
    Tania
  • Thanks, but that link only gives me a whole lot of code as below. I'm not seeing a "file" to "download and install".

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

American Psychological Association 7th edition
    APA
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/apa

etc.....
  • Right click on the link and choose Save Link As. Save the file. Then double click on it and Zotero will offer to install it.
  • Great, thank you.
  • Thank-you for your work on this bwiernik. I'll give it a try and report back if I notice anything unexpected.
  • Thanks, @bwiernik for all of your work! I downloaded and installed the APA7 style but it does not show in the list of citation styles when I click on "document preferences" in the Zotero Word Add-In. Or did it simply replace the APA 6 style without changing the name?

• It would've replaced the existing APA 6 style, but the name would also change. It could get overwritten by the old version in a Zotero update, though. Try installing it again from the Cite pane of the preferences.
  • thanks a bunch! it worked
  • I’ve updated the date modified field in the style to hopefully avoid that.
  • Hello
    This may not be the correct place for this, but there is a bug in the 6th edition that I never reported because I figured it would be low priority and not get addressed. But if you are working on the 7th edition anyway, you may have time to address this at the same time.

Statutes (including bills and cases) should only have a comma after the statute name. However, Zotero inserts a period, space, and comma after the statute name (examples below)

Brown v. Board of Education. , 347 U.S. 483 (1954).
    U.S. Const. Amend. XIII. , (1865).

I believe this is because a period and space is inserted after any title with no author. Zotero then adds the comma correctly.

I can submit this as its own thread if you would prefer. But figured the 7th edition file is where it would get addressed anyways.
  • Legal citations are much updated in the 7th edition to fix these and other issues.
  • Hi,
    I detected an error with the APA style (6th and 7th editions). The error occurs with Zotero (vers 5.0.80), Word (Office 2016) and Write (LibreOffice 5). The reference of a book is incomplete (publisher, city and pages are not shown). This error is not returned by APA style 5th edition (the reference is shown in full).
  • @fim -- I assume that's for books with DOIs. In that case that's correct. APA is very clear to no add other publishing information when a DOI is given for a book.
  • The error occurs even if the book has DOI. Examples (in 6th ed):

Chen, J., & Rosenthal, A. (Eds.). (2015). Novel ingredients and processing techniques (Vol. 1). (DOI: 10.1016/C2014-0-02669-X)

Alicia Foundation. (2015). A chef’s guide to gelling, thickening, and emulsifying agents. (without DOI)

However, after deleting the "apa.csl" file and installing "apa.csl (7th edition)":

Chen, J., & Rosenthal, A. (Eds.). (2015). Novel ingredients and processing techniques (Vol. 1). Woodhead Publishing.

Alicia Foundation. (2015). A chef’s guide to gelling, thickening, and emulsifying agents. CRC Press.
  • So the APA 7th citations look right (city has been removed from APA 7).
    For the other ones, hard to say what's going on, but that's not what the APA 6 style on zotero.org/styles would produce.

If you can replicate the issue of no publisher & place appearing for APA 6th with correctly available data in Zotero in a new document, please start a new thread (since this one is about apa 7) and we can take a closer look.
  • @fim APA 6th edition does not include publisher or city for books when a DOI or URL is included. What you are seeing (no publisher or city) is correct APA 6th edition (though I assume the parentheses are not actually showing up around the DOI?).

APA 7th edition has changed this rule, and now always includes the publisher name (publisher city is never included). This should be the behavior you observe with the 7th edition version of apa.csl:
    Rabinowitz, F. E. (2019). Deepening group psychotherapy with men: Stories and insights for the journey. American Psychological Association. https://doi.org/10.1037/0000132-000
  • Issue solved: Just use the style "APA (no DOI, no issue numbers)". Regarding the APA (7th edition) style, this works fine immediately to install. After closing Zotero, the 6th edition is reinstalled.
  • The 7th edition style will possibly be periodically overwritten by Zotero until it is officially accepted into the CSL Style Repository. I recommend just reinstalling the style as needed for now. The style will likely be accepted fairly soon. If you do want to stop it being overwritten, you can edit the style ID at the top of the style. But be sure to change back to the official style once it appears in Zotero.
  • This semester I had numerous grad students using Zotero APA 6th without any style compliance problems.

Books with DOI assigned in 6th ed. have been correctly formatting for years in Zotero.

Could it be a lack of metadata from the source downloaded into Zotero?
  • Again, to be clear, in APA 6, publisher/city should NOT be printed if there is a URL or DOI. Zotero produces the correct formatting by omitting them.

Unless your journal or publisher specifically asks you to omit the DOI, then I would recommend against the no-DOI-no-issue version of the style. The DOI is the single most important part of the citation with regards to readers being able to locate the reference and publishers being able to accurately index citation metrics.
  • My question arose because "Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies" journal requires APA style (6th edition). In the guide for authors it says:

Reference to a book:
    Strunk, W., Jr., & White, E. B. (2000). The elements of style. (4th ed.). New York: Longman, (Chapter 4)
  • That isn’t really APA style. APA does not put the chapter at the end of the reference like that ever.
  • I'm very grateful for the help
  • Thanks for all of your work.
  • Thanks for all the hard work. How long is the beta testing usually before the 7th edition is launched on https://www.zotero.org/styles?
  • @amansiddiqi -- we expect APA 7th to go live in the next 2 weeks.
  • I just learned about zotero over Christmas from my brother-in-law. You guys are amazing, thank you so much! I've been procrastinating over the bibliography for my first reference paper (around the same time APA decides to update, which is of course what this journal wants.
    Seriously. Life changing. Thank you!!!