zotero no longer imports pdfs from ACS websites

Apparently the American Chemical Society has updated their websites, and Zotero is no longer importing the pdf when saving a reference. Changing the translator options to save only the high-res pdf, or pdf with links, or both versions doesn't help. The reference information is saved as normal, but the pdf is not saved with it.

Thanks!
  • edited November 12, 2019
    I can confirm this - a solution would be highly appreciated.
    This also applies for open-access articles like https://doi.org/10.1021/acscentsci.9b00619

I had a quick look inside the page, and while the link to the pdf is there, it does not seem to be tagged e.g. by dublin core metadata tags etc.

What is the typical approach here: does one build a "custom extractor" or should one ping ACS in order for them to better (how?) tag the link to the pdf?
  • One more thing: in my case zotero does not actually detect an article on the landing page anymore - the importer saves it as a "Web page"
  • @leoteo: PDF saving for ACS was fixed in July, and again in October. If it's not working for you on https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acscentsci.9b00619, see Troubleshooting Translator Errors.
  • @dstillman Thanks for the info!
    Indeed a restart of Chrome fixed the issue.
  • After at least seven years, Zotero has not solved the import issue for American Chemical Society (non-ACS) journals, despite Zotero thinking so. The problem is that to get to the .pdf download, there needs to be a /pdf after the normal proxy change and that the hyphen substitution for period checkbox in the preferences section needs to be checked. For my Florida Institute of Technology proxy of portal.lib.fit.edu that would work for non-ACS journals to work, I need %h.pubs-acs-org.portal.lib.fit.edu/pdf/%p to substitute for pubs.acs.org. Without the /pdf/ part, the proxy goes to an abstract and fails to download the article. As a large minority of the articles I cite are ACS journal articles, this is a major problem.

Best regards,
    Prof. Jim Brenner
    Florida Institute of Technology
    jbrenner@fit.edu
  • There's no problem we're aware of (though it's certainly possible there is one, though it's highly unlikely it's been there for 7 years given the low number of reports) and you're misunderstanding how Zotero saves articles (it specifically looks for and follows the PDF link; it doesn't just use the abstract page).
    If you post a URL where attaching the PDF isn't working, we can take a look.