Can't add keyboard shortcuts in Word

This discussion was created from comments split from: Word 2016 Keyboard Shortcut.
  • Hi all,
    I have a similar problem. I am on Word 16.16.15 (191014) on a mac. There is a zotero ribbon in Word. Zotero communicates with word. I can insert citations in a word document. But when I go to Tools->customize keyboard->macros then the box to the right is empty and does not show any zotero related commands.
    Weirdly, when I go to Tools->macro then I can select macros in "zotero.dotm" and I can see the zotero related macros. I wonder whether this has something to do with the fact that they are in "zotero.dotm" rather than in "normal.dotm" but if that were so, then how do I move them?
  • Hi all,
    I just figured out how to resolve the issue. You need to first open zotero, then open word. In that order. If you open word first, then zotero, you cannot see the macros in word!! Try it. Maybe add this somewhere to the documentation, as this is really confusing.
  • No, Zotero doesn't need to be open at all for you to assign keyboard shortcuts to the Word plugin. It sounds like there's something wrong with your installation. It's possible you're somehow being reset to an older plugin version every time you restart Word, and so starting Zotero first re-installs the latest version.

I'd recommend removing Zotero.dotm from your Word startup folder, restarting Word and confirming that the Zotero plugin is gone completely, and then reinstalling the plugin from the Zotero preferences.
  • OK, thanks for this.