Installing Zotero for Mac-Catalina

I wanted/need to use Zotero for my research but when I attempted to use Zotero I got the message that 'Zotero can't b opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated connect the developer for more information.'

So, I am asking, what gives? Is anyone looking at how to run this program on Catalina? If so, what is the status?
  • Catalina is still in beta, and I'd strongly discourage you from using beta software — particularly OS releases — without fully understanding the specific implications of the beta period in question.

In this case, Catalina introduces a new app notarization scheme that requires apps to be submitted to Apple before distribution, along with various technical changes before that can be done. Supporting this required major under-the-hood changes in Zotero. We've been working on those, and we'll have a compatible release out before Catalina is released later this month, as well as a beta release sooner.

In the meantime, you can open the current version of Zotero the same way that you would open any other program that doesn't pass Gatekeeper — by right-clicking and selecting Open after you first install it.

But while that's perfectly safe for running the current Zotero version in Catalina, that's not something you should do if you don't fully understand the implications that running unidentified software has for your computer's security.
  • I downloaded and reinstalled the current version. I opened System Preferences>Security & Privacy and clicked to allow Zotero to 'run anyway' and got it to run after one more message.
    I realise that betas can be 'hazardous' to run. However, after participating in now three betas, I've never had an issue with running older software until Catalina. That said, most everything I need works without issue.
    Looking forward to the Zotero update for Safari!
  • Hi Guys, what's the latest news on Catalina & Zotero? I can live without the Safari capture for a while but I really miss it, I updated Safari before I realised it would stop working. I'm using Mojave at the moment, but really need to upgrade to Catalina so my Reminders sync again, it's causing me all sorts of problems. I am no developer or anything so can somebody also answer this question, if Zotero becomes compatible will that mean that all plugins like BetterBibTex and Zotfile will also continue to work? I'm terrified of my MSc workflow being broken as I am just starting my dissertation. Any advice, updates, or other useful info will be very much appreciated. Thank you. Zotero is hands down the best ref manager available. I went through them all trying to get one that was up to the job. Thank you, guys!
  • Other than the Zotero Connector for Safari 13, which we're still working on, Zotero is fully compatible with Catalina. Plugins should generally be unaffected by OS upgrades.
  • Wow brilliant!!!!! Thank you so much for your quick reply. Far less anxious now about upgrading. I usually wait a number of months before I upgrade but they got me on this reminders thing my whole GTD system replies upon it. Thanks again.