Ctrl+Shift+S keyboard shortcut not working in firefox developer edition

I'm a vision impaired screen-reader user, and Zotero team's suggestion to use firefox developer edition worked for me for sometime. With recent updates, firefox by default opens the screenshort option upon pressing the ctrl+shift+S. Nor am I able to find the save buttons described in the documentation page using the keyboard.
I'll even try adding books/articles using ISBN/DOI, only if you could tell me a way to access that option using keyboard.
  • Kindly read "using Keyboard" as "using keyboard shortcuts".
  • There's no need to use the Developer Edition anymore. Extension shortcuts are configurable in current Firefox versions.

It's likely random whether the Zotero shortcut or the Firefox screenshot shortcut takes precedence, but you can go the Extensions pane in Firefox, click the gear button labeled "Tools for all add-ons", and select Manage Extension Shortcuts from the drop-down menu. From there, you should be able to configure both shortcuts. If you set Firefox Screenshots to something else, you can continue to use Ctrl+Shift+S for the Zotero Connector.
  • Yes, it works perfect now!
    thanks dstillman
  • Sorry if I revive this thread. I'm running into the same issue as Muruganandan. Ctrl+Shift+S triggers the screenshot functionality in Firefox. I am aware (thanks to several questions here in this forum) of the possibility to customize shortcuts either in the Zotero configuration (Preferences -> Advanced Config) or the Firefox `about:config` page. I guess I could add/modify a shortcut but only if I know the name of the function/object. Is anybody able to provide the necessary information? The shortcuts are vital for visually impaired people, so I'd be very thankful for help!
  • @alexander.winkler: I answered this above.
  • Thanks and sorry for asking. I got a bit confused because the path to the configuration mask has apparently changed sind 2019. Maybe it helps if I describe the procedure in the terms used on my setup (Linux, Firefox 105.0.3, Zotero Connector 5.0.108):

1. Click on sandwich symbol in the right corner of the Firefox toolbar
    2. Click on "Settings" in the drop-down
    3. Click on "Extensions & Themes" (bottom left)

(instead of 1 through 3, type "about:addons" in your address bar)

4. Click on the rack-wheel icon (title: "Tools for all add-ons") on the right.
    5. Click on "Manage Extension Shortcuts"

There is a box on "Zotero Connector" where you can customize the Shortcut.
  • No, it hasn't changed — as I said above, it's the Extensions pane in Firefox. You can get to it however you want — from the bottom left of Settings, from about:addons, from "Add-ons and themes" in the application (three-lines) menu, from Tools → "Add-ons and Themes" if you have a menu bar — but it's just the place where you manage all your Firefox extensions.
  • edited May 30, 2023
    Oh, though one thing that does seem to have changed is that the screenshot functionality used to be a bundled extension, so you could configure its shortcut, but now it's included in a way where it doesn't show up in the shortcuts pane. And unfortunately, it seems that even disabling Firefox screenshot functionality in about:config with extensions.screenshots.disabled just disables the shortcut instead of letting Zotero use it.

What's more, if you try to set Cmd-Shift-S as the shortcut explicitly, Firefox says "Can't override a Firefox shortcut".

So that's annoying. Unless we can find a way to customize Firefox shortcuts, I guess we'll need to change the default in Firefox.
  • That's exactly the problem now. One has to surely change the Zotero shortcut in order for it to work. I've changed to control+shift+f using the add-on manager settings >keyboard shortcuts for Zotero. I'd suggest Zotero team to change the shortcut key in the future updates. Every blind/screen reader user or other keyboard users may not be able to change the shortcut. And of course, the shortcut is not functional anymore with firefox!