Quick copy not working

I am using zotero 5.0.74 on ubuntu 16.04 I configure in the export preferences the "chicago" default format and when I try to use quick copy pressing ctrl-shift-c I obtain (paste):

(Hueso 2017)

If I go to the menu edit/copy bibliography and paste:

Hueso, Raúl Ochoa. 2017. “Consecuencias de La Deposición de Nitrógeno Sobre La Biodiversidad y El Funcionamiento de Los Ecosistemas Terrestres: Una Aproximación General Desde La Ecología de Ecosistemas.” Revista Ecosistemas 26 (1): 25–36.

If I drag the item:

Hueso, Raúl Ochoa. 2017. “Consecuencias de La Deposición de Nitrógeno Sobre La Biodiversidad y El Funcionamiento de Los Ecosistemas Terrestres: Una Aproximación General Desde La Ecología de Ecosistemas.” Revista Ecosistemas 26 (1): 25–36.

If I press ctrl-shift-a I obtain

(Hueso 2017)

So it seems that ctrl-shift-c is not working.

• edited September 12, 2019
    Same problem as here, but on a Mac: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/73991/copy-bibliography-keyboard-shortcut-shift-cmd-c-copies-citation-mac-zotero-5-0-55-1

I assume if you restart Zotero it will start working normally, but it may happen from time to time. That's what happens for me. If it actually never works, then maybe that will help give the developers the information they need to fix the underlying issue.
  • edited September 12, 2019
    Restarting will likely fix it, but if you're experiencing this, go to Help → Debug Output Logging → View Output, and then try the two shortcuts. You should see

Keyboard shortcut: copySelectedItemCitationsToClipboard

for Ctrl-Shift-A and

Keyboard shortcut: copySelectedItemsToClipboard

for Ctrl-Shift-C.

Are you seeing the correct commands when you press each shortcut, or do they correspond with the actual (incorrect) output that you're getting?
  • You're right after restarting it worked perfectly, and now debug output also look as you said. So when I have the problem again I will check debug output to see what's the problem.

• For the record I'm also getting this from time to time. It is not clear at all what causes it though I had discovered by trial and error that restarting usually solves it.

I first thought it could be a conflict with Zutilo (which I use for its QuickCopy customization) but on a new PC (Windows 10) with brand new Zotero and without Zutilo I also just ran into this.
  • I've just had a report by a user that disabling and re-enabling BBT seemed to solve the problem for him. Re-enabling BBT will call Zotero.Translators.reinit() , maybe that's a clue towards the problem?
  • edited February 25, 2020
    (I don't have BBT, so that couldn't be the cause for me, but maybe it's interacting with the same issue within Zotero. It does seem to reset itself periodically.)
  • I don't think BBT is involved really; quick copy just runs the selected translator. But the re-init (however it is called) may have something to do with fixing the problem.
  • The keyboard shortcuts break for me reasonably often, although restarting does fix it. Is there any way to trigger Zotero.Translators.reinit() without restarting Zotero, which is tedious on my elderly laptop with large library?
  • When I go to my Edit menu, I don't see the option for CMD-SHIFT-A. (I have BBT installed which "co-opted" the CMD-SHFT-C.)

Does anyone know how I can get a functional copy bibliography shortcut? I have zutilo installed and tried mapping keyboard shortcuts to its various "Quick Copy Items" actions but none of those did anything. See:

https://imgur.com/AVPooSu
  • BBT hasn't co-opted cmd-shift-C -- BBT has no interaction of any kind with the shortcuts system in Zotero at all. What you see in the menu in that screenshot is Zotero displaying the selected translator for quick copy, but other than Zotero calling BBT when you hit that shortcut, BBT is not involved.

Zutilo does some things that tie together BBT with Zotero shortcuts, but that lives fully within Zutilo.
  • @danmackinlay in the javascript runner under the developer menu, run

await Zotero.Translators.reinit()

in async mode
  • @emilianoeheyns Thanks.

Understanding that this particular thing is not Emiliano's responsibility, I'll mention for the wider community that I tried executing this snippet when the shortcut stopped working (asynchronously in the run javascript widget), and it does not cause the keyboard shortcut to work again for me. Restarting Zotero does.