Is there any hope for a translator for Adv. Transport. Stud.? [Yes! Solved.]

edited September 9, 2019
See:
http://www.atsinternationaljournal.com/index.php/issues-articles

I fear that there is nothing to scrape but I hope that someone who knows more than I do might see something I cannot. This is an important journal in the transportation safety management world.
  • There is no metadata or BibTeX or anything on that file. Thus, one would need to scrape it from the website directly. As a content management system Joomla is used for their websites I hope that the structure is constant and therefore possible to write a translator for it.

Would you be willing to test it and give me feedback if I write a first draft translator for that site?
  • I would be pleased to provide feedback.
  • Okay, first draft is here: https://github.com/zotero/translators/pull/2003 . Please test it and give me feedback.
  • I'm doing something dumb or not doing something at all. I added your fileATS International Journal.js to my Zotero translator directory and restarted Zotero but the ATS article webpages still show only a webpage import icon.

I've spent over an hour trying to figure out what I should be doing and, although I've added new translators before, I can't guess at what I'm doing wrong this time.

Thank you for your patience.
  • @bwiernik @zuphilip

Thank you both for the help. It worked for me on Scaffold so I figured that I must have missed a step or added an unneeded step.
  • It should work in the browser as well. I will test this later. However, sometimes I need to restart my browser in order to see new translators there.
  • I just tried it with my second browser Chrome, which I can restart easier, and it seems to work as expected. Please try again and possible restart your browser.
  • edited September 9, 2019
    Yes!! I restarted Chrome and it works. I restarted Firefox and it didn't initially work but, as I needed to install an update to other software, after restarting my Mac the translator works with Firefox as well.

I have a couple of what I think are simple requests:

This journal and other journals are treating the issue number as a volume number. I can easily do this by hand if that is complicated.

edit: never mind... I have found several cites that treat the issue numbers as issue numbers.

Although the volume/issue number is provided in Roman numerals, when earlier articles are cited in this journal or other journals most citations use Arabic numbers. Is there a simple conversion utility that could be added?

All articles in this journal are in the English language. Can the language field be populated with "en"?

There may be Zotero protocols or conventions that will make these requests be impossible. Even without these minor changes this is an incredibly helpful translator. I consider what you accomplished as a seriously high personal favor and I am in your debt. I recommend adding this translator to Zotero so that it is available to everyone.
  • The volume vs. issue number is really strange here: They are using "Issues per Year" but especially the special issues within a year are numbered then by volume 1, 2, ... Thus, in the end we have a continuous numbering starting from 1, besides a number of the special issues which starts each year with 1 again. I choose issue number but we can also go for volume number here.

> Although the volume/issue number is provided in Roman numerals, when earlier articles are cited in this journal or other journals most citations use Arabic numbers. Is there a simple conversion utility that could be added?

Such a conversion is easy enough to do within JavaScript. Just checking: you would prefer to simply have a number, e.g. 48 in this field. Correct? What about the special issues?

I will add the language "en".
  • Thanks. My preference is "48" instead of Roman numerals.

This is truly miraculous!
  • I've seen these cited with the year as the volume number and "SI 1" "SI 2" as the issue number. But it seems that this is becoming a monster.

I can't speak for other Zotero users but for me, a little bit of hand editing is okay. [I grew up when a literature search required index cards and looking at printed index books (if the journals you wanted were indexed) or hand searching journal volumes for those that were not indexed in index books held by a nearby library. I lived in a city with three major universities and two other lesser universities. A thorough literature search required visiting at least two libraries because indexes were not necessarily available at each library. Manuscripts were typed on a typewriter.]
  • > I've seen these cited with the year as the volume number and "SI 1" "SI 2" as the issue number. But it seems that this is becoming a monster.

Well, the year we already have as the date and I personally don't think that "SI 1" is a very clear in the meaning. There are a lot of meanings for "Si" in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si but none is related to issue.

Thus, I suggest to use the longer but also unusual issue number "Special Issue 2018 Vol2", which makes it at least easy to find the article again without guessing about any uncommon abbreviations.

> I can't speak for other Zotero users but for me, a little bit of hand editing is okay.

Sure, sometimes this is not avoidable. Moreover, I tell my students always that they should check and possibly fix any errors which occurred during automatic extraction of the bibliographic metadata with a translator. But if we can automate something within a translator, then we should also try to do that.

New version is up in the PR.
  • BTW I used the tags as tags and mostly ignored the keywords. Is that okay?
  • edited September 10, 2019
    The special issues are the conference proceedings for the Road Safety and Simulation conference. In citations to these special issues I could locate, they typically spelled out “Special Issue” in full. (Some include the abbreviation RSS2011 to indicate the conference, but that seems unnecessary.).

Given that the issues are numbered consecutively over years (e.g., like Elsevier journals), I would say that the converted Roman numerals should be stored in Volume.

For special issues, pagination starts over in each “volume”, so I’d say store “Special Issue 1” or “Special Issue 2” in Volume as well.

With the year already in the data and citation, I don’t think this is ambiguous and it’s shorter than “Special Issue 2018 Vol. 2”
  • @zuphilip For me, tags as tags is okay.

@bwiernik I agree with your suggested way to handle special issues.

Thanks
  • Okay, I will use volume instead of issue for this information and delete the year in that.
  • PR is now merged and this translator will come over the usual updates within the next hours for all Zotero users.