"There was an error starting Zotero"

I have also encountered this message whilst using WIndows XP. I work at different sites, on networked PCs, and zotero 2.0 works perfectly at 2 of them, but not on one particular PC. Does anyone know how to cure this problem? (And how to stop it from happening again?)

Richard Fothergill
University of Glamorgan
  • Follow the steps in the Advanced Instructions section of the Reporting Bugs page and let us know what appears in the Error Console.
  • I too am having the same error message. It happened after I tried to change the file location. This is what appears in the Error Console:

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]" nsresult: "0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 1032" data: no]
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js
    Line: 299
  • That may or may not be the same error as refother (who didn't include any output).

You have a file locking issue. Refer to:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/7488/cant-add-delete-or-edit-items/
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/6559/there-was-an-error-starting-zotero/

and other threads.
  • Apologies for not replying to Dan et als comments sooner, I have only just got back to this site and onto the recalcitrant PC. The error message I get on this PC (Zotero works at my 2 other sites) is :
    Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]" nsresult: "0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 1032" data: no]
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js
    Line: 299

So it obviously does look like a file locking problem
  • See my posts in the two threads linked by noksagt for solutions.