Standalone Notes 'Title' Search

As far as I know, standalone notes don't have a title, what is shown as such is just their first line.

Most of the times I use "Title, Creator, Year" search option, so Standalone notes are excluded there by default.

Would it be possible to use their first line as title when doing a search? [i.e. searching on first lines also when performing a "Title, Creator, Year" search option]. "All fields & tags" sometimes gives me too many irrelevant results when I'm searching a note.

Thank you.
  • That's reasonable, but "Title, Creator, Year" is designed to be limited to top-level items, so that it can serve as a way to search without expanding items. Including the first line of notes would break that.
  • Yes. Actually, the idea would be to limit that feature to search only standalone notes (as they are, in most senses if not all, top-level items). Expanding items after searching child notes titles was not what I had in mind.

The reason I was asking... I don't know if it's a common situation, but I always feel awkward when I use zotero and another app for notes, switching constantly between them... Title search would make Zotero a great note taking app. I think that could simplify enormously the workflow for many of us.

• The regular search box will find notes to which you have added your own heading if you use "All Fields & Tags" to search for the heading.

Another way to approach this would be if developers were able to add "Standalone Notes" as an Advanced Search category. Then, even if you don't add your own headings, standalone notes should be easy to locate.
  • Actually, the idea would be to limit that feature to search only standalone notes (as they are, in most senses if not all, top-level items).
    @ergz: I can't guarantee we'll do this — while it would be consistent with other top-level items, it would obviously be inconsistent with child notes — but I've added an issue to track it as a possibility.