Footnotes suddenly skipping numbers

Zotero had been working beautifully for me until I noticed in a few places the footnotes suddenly jump numbers. For example, they go 28, 29, 30, 32, 35. I'm not sure if this is an issue with standalone Zotero, with the Zotero Word plugin, or with Word 2008, but I've tried a few different solutions and haven't been able to solve it. Have tried refreshing through both the plugin and the standalone version, restarting Zotero/Word/computer, copying and pasting into a different document, and making a copy of this document, but the problem persists. I'm using the Chicago Manual of style 16th edition (note). A solution would be so much appreciated as I've been trying to work out the problem all day!
  • Mostly footnote numbering is indeed a Word issue (Zotero just tells Word "insert footnote here" and doesn't have anything to do with the numbering).

Quick googleing suggest that frequently track changes is the culprit on the Word side (entirely unrelated to Zotero). If that's not it, you could try alt+F9 to see Zotero field codes and see if there's any extraneous stuff that shows up where footnotes are missing (and if so delete it).
  • That could definitely be it. The error only appeared after my advisor put on 'track changes.' I'll look into both those suggestions, thank you so much!
  • In my case, I thought I knew what the problem was: I was citing two sources in one footnote (per Turabian 8). But then I deleted the footnote to manually insert a footnote number and then manually inserted the text for the footnote. Now I still get the skipping. I'm turning off the track changes and using the compare documents instead to see if that helps.
  • Hi did anyone have a solution to this?? Urgently need to sort it to submit something. Thank you!!