Moving to Zotero from Endnote: linked PDFs?

I have a huge Endnote library (~30,000 references) and most of them have attached fulltext PDFs. Is there a way to import everything into Zotero and keep the linked PDFs? I see this
https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5311/importing-endnote-libaray-including-pdf-attachments/p4
but it's several years old now and I'm wondering if those steps are still necessary or if the new versions of Endnote and Zotero make this easier now?
  • It's similar but really not that hard: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/importing_records_from_endnote

I'd import this in several chunks. Zotero will likely not be happy with 30k items imported at once.
  • Hello !
    I have done exactly as explained above but the pdfs did not follow...I think i must be misunderstanding this:

--
    Navigate to your EndNote data directory (typically, My Documents\endnote.Data). This directory contains a 'PDF' folder, but you should be sure to select the data directory rather than any sub-directory.

This is important! Zotero will look for file attachments in a directory relative to the location of the exported XML file. If you save this file in the wrong spot, file attachments won't be included when you import into Zotero.
    --

I have created a temporary folder on my desktop where i have copied all of the pdfs from my data directory in the endnote subfolder PDF

I have then saved the xml export on this same temporary directory on my desktop

I have then launched the import process from within zotero and all references appear perfectly but without the pdf files that are linked to the reference in endnote...

Have i done something wrong?
    Thanks for your help!!

Yves Bendavid

• Lets say you have a default endnote library somewhere. I just save-as in a folder. Lets say Desktop:

(i.e) this ALL_ref.Data contains inside 3 folders as shown below

ALL_ref.Data
    ------------------> PDF
    --------------------> rdb
    --------------------> tdb

Put the Endnote -> Export -XML inside this ALL_ref.Data
    (i.e) there will be 3 folders + 1 XML file.

ALL_ref.Data
    ------------------> PDF
    --------------------> rdb
    --------------------> tdb
    ----------------------> your_file.XML

Now take these 4 things (3+1) anywhere.

Do Zotero->Import. Point to the XML file. All works fine.