Importing EndNote libaray, INCLUDING PDF attachments

124»
  • Well I'm not sure what you mean by posting a sample RIS entry because I'm attempting to export and import an entire library and the file created is a txt file. And I just went through the steps posted here-- http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/importing_records_from_endnote--very carefully, one by one, and the imported citations do NOT contain ANY pdf files.

And I'm not sure why, but I'm not seeing anything on this forum that allows me to post either files or links.
  • To: adamsmith
    Kind of condescending response, don't you think? I'm clearly trying troubleshooting and having no success whatsoever with what's been presented. Seems there's clearly something missing both in the instructions Zotero is providing and in this forum tool that it's not obvious how to post a file nor how to respond directly to a specific post.
  • You can open the RIS export with any text editor, you can post a sample RIS (i.e. an entry for one single item from TY to ER - ) right here with copy&paste, see BrianBeckage's post above for an example.
    You can post links just by pasting them (as you did) if you really do need to point to larger files you can upload them anywhere and link to them here (but that's only rarely necessary).

As for "condescending" - while that wasn't my intention (you said "for now I'll be sticking to EndNote", which didn't sound like much interest in troubleshooting), do re-read your posts and see if you think your tone was polite and friendly, starting with the first word...
  • Really?! My *first* word immediately led you to label them as not trying to troubleshoot?? You have difficulty, perhaps, recognizing that folks might be frustrated and need to vent? I've spent at least a couple of hours on this with, to this point, little success and even less helpful response.

And my problem is that I don't have a SINGLE RIS file. I'm working with an EndNote library that contains over 800 references, most of them containing pdf attachments. Following the steps listed in the link above, I was able to import the citations, but none of the pdf links were imported.

And I'm still not sure how to attach a file. You say to "upload them anywhere." You mean I have to upload them to some website I own and then set up a link?? That's not at all like any procedure I've seen on any other forum software.

The bottom line here is that you've got a potential customer who is really frustrated with EndNote but is having equally difficult issues with Zotero. So are you going to acknowledge the mutual frustrations and see if the comments about Zotero are valid and can be addressed? Or are you simply going to get defensive and blame the potential customer?
  • You have difficulty, perhaps, recognizing that folks might be frustrated and need to vent?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/forum_guidelines#etiquette

If you can't post here calmly and politely, then please don't post here.
    And my problem is that I don't have a SINGLE RIS file. I'm working with an EndNote library that contains over 800 references, most of them containing pdf attachments.
    adamsmith explained this to you. Open the RIS file you exported from EndNote in a text editor and copy a single reference that includes a PDF link. This will be obvious if you actually try it.
    You mean I have to upload them to some website I own and then set up a link??
    No, you can use a free file-sharing site—Dropbox, GitHub Gist, etc.—and then paste the link here.
  • edited August 5, 2013
    Both Aurimas and I have tried to get the information from you we need to troubleshoot this, but so far without success, so let's step back a bit and try to get there.
    And RIS _file_ is a text file containing any number of RIS _items_ - in your case >800, one after the other. Each of them starts with TY - and ends with ER -
    If none of your PDFs import, we don't need to see the entire RIS file, we just need to see the RIS of one item that should import with PDF, but doesn't. To that purpose, I pointed you to an example above of how such an entry would look like:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5311?page=2#Item_16
    This is what we need, and we can really only help you if you post this - simply by copy&pasting it from your text editor (notepad, TextEdit). If you have trouble getting there, try to be specific at what step and we'll be happy to help.

edit: removed duplicate information
  • Hi adamsmith and aurimas,

I'm trying to Export from EndnoteX5 to Zotero for Firefox (or Standalone 4.0.11) on OSX7.5.

I have downloaded the latest RIS output style from Endnote - it already had the L1 - `File Attachments|` in the style, and overwritten the existing RIS style in the Endnote folder.

Problem is I'm not having any luck at all getting pdf's to import.

It looks like the pdf file path has an extra / in it along the lines of BrianBeckage above.

An example entry in the exported RIS file:

TY - JOUR
    AD - Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA.
    AN - 18849280
    AU - Zu Rhein, G. M.
    DA - Nov 27
    J2 - Philosophical transactions of the Royal Society of London
    KW - Brain/*ultrastructure
    History, 20th Century
    Humans
    Kuru/*history/*pathology
    L1 - internal-pdf://ZuRein_PhilTransRoyalSocB_363(1510)pp3672-3673_2008-3759564576/ZuRein_PhilTransRoyalSocB_363(1510)pp3672-3673_2008.pdf
    LA - eng
    M1 - 1510
    N1 - Historical Article
    Journal Article
    England
    PY - 2008
    SN - 1471-2970 (Electronic)
    SP - 3672-3
    ST - My 'brush' with kuru research
    T2 - Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci
    TI - My 'brush' with kuru research
    UR - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=Citation&list_uids=18849280
    VL - 363
    ID - 13540
    ER -

Any light you could shed would be much appreciated. I believe I shouldn't have to change the internal-pdf to a file:// path now, right?

Cheers

Tom
  • that should work. Note that it matters where you save the RIS file to - have you made sure to save it to your Endnote profile folder (which should be the default destination)?
  • Thanks for the quick reply adam.

The RIS output style file is saved in Applications>EndnoteX5>Styles>RefMan (RIS) Export.ens

The Endnote library (CJD bibliography.enl) and associated .Data Folder with the PDFs is at Documents>Endnote Bibs>CJD>CJD bibliography.txt.

The exported .txt RIS file is also in this CJD Folder.
    Are you saying it should be in the Applications>EndnoteX5 folder?

Thanks
    Tom
  • no, it needs to be in the same folder that contains the folder with PDFs, so that should be right.
    For your example above, e.g., Zotero would try to import the file at
    Documents/Endnote Bibs/CJD/PDF/ZuRein_PhilTransRoyalSocB_363(1510)pp3672-3673_2008-3759564576/ZuRein_PhilTransRoyalSocB_363(1510)pp3672-3673_2008.pdf

let's start by confirming that you have a PDF at that path.
  • Ah, the penny drops.

I moved the .txt file one folder over, into >CJD>CJD bibliography.Data, the same folder that contains the parent PDF folder, and bingo.

Interestingly that's not the default location upon export from Endnote?

Thanks for your help Adam very much appreciated.
  • aurimas would have to check the location - I don't have EndNote
  • The location of the Endnote data directory will vary. I made this a bit clearer in the instructions:
    Navigate to your EndNote data directory (typically, My Documents\endnote.Data). There should be a 'PDF' folder inside this directory.
    Not sure how to improve it further.
  • You might want to update the instructions to reflect that the latest RIS style *does* contain

L1 - `Link to PDF|`

and, at least for me (with Endnote X), this worked to export my references with the appropriate value of L1.
    I got confused and replaced all of these by the line given in the instructions, and this modified style did not work correctly.
    But I had a wild idea to try the original style unmodified, and it worked.
  • I've observed the same thing taraathan has seen - the L1 field is already present.

I'm trying to export from EndNote X7 to Zotero Standalone 4.0.17, and I can't get PDFs attachments to be included. Here's a quick screen capture (no audio) of what I'm doing: http://screencast.com/t/KnRf83Ng0UJ5 Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Have I just had too much coffee to correctly read the detailed instructions?

Thanks in advance!
  • I'm pretty sure the file needs to go one level higher, i.e. not in PDF but in MyEndNote.Data -- I don't have time to check right now, but try it out. If so, we can clarify the instructions, which are a bit ambiguous on this.
  • edited November 6, 2014
    adamsmith is correct: move the RIS file one directory higher.
    https://github.com/zotero/translators/blob/master/RIS.js#L1307

And the directions are clear to me already:
    Navigate to your EndNote data directory (typically, My Documents\endnote.Data).
  • Thanks! Moving the file one directory higher solved my problem. I suppose I got caught up on looking for that PDF folder in the instructions. I really appreciate the quick responses. :)
  • Hi, I am having a similar problem with the PDF attachment not coming through from Endnote 7x (Mac Yosemite) to Zotero 4.0.25.3 (standalone). The attachments are saved in a deep file path at Macintosh HD ▸ Users ▸ user ▸ Documents ▸ GTRI ▸ GTRI External ▸ WT Devices ▸ solar latrines ▸ lit review ▸ SolarLatrineLibrary.Data ▸ pdf and the Endnote export is saved in Macintosh HD ▸ Users ▸ user ▸ Documents ▸ GTRI ▸ GTRI External ▸ WT Devices ▸ solar latrines ▸ lit review ▸ SolarLatrineLibrary.Data

Note the folder that contained the attachments or pdf was originally labeled "PDF" uppercase and you'll see I changed the folder name to be lowercase "pdf" but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem.

Below is one of the outputs from the export and which was used for a test input and debug report with Debug ID- D117152940.

Please let me know what I'm missing or what suggestions you have. Thank you!

TY - JOUR
    AB - This paper describes the in¯uences which govern solar box cookers: HS 7534, HS 7033
    and the newest design HS 5521. The best of solar cooker, type HS 7033 gave oven
    temperature of 2028C between 12:00 and 12:45 p.m. on October 7, 1997. Thirty-four units
    of this type have been ®eld tested since September 1997. It was found that these solar
    cookers have a good heat storage capability, therefore they can be used for consecutive
    cooking. The optimization of the size, the aperture area, the insulator thickness, the oven
    volume and the re¯ector area leads to a new design, type HS 5521. Its volume is only 35%
    of the volume of HS 7033 and cheaper. The performance comparison of the last two solar
    cookers are described based on the data collected during testing with and without load. The
    HS 5521 has the same heat collection rate and is able to cook as fast as HS 7033. 7 2000
    Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.
    AU - Suharta, Herliyani
    AU - Sayigh, A M
    AU - Abdullah, K
    AU - Mathew, K
    L1 - internal-pdf://Comparison of 3 solar box cookers-4097347073/Comparison of 3 solar box cookers.pdf
    PY - 2001
    SE - 379
    SP - 379-387
    ST - The Comparison of Three Types of Indonesian Solar Box Cookers
    T2 - Renewable Energy
    TI - The Comparison of Three Types of Indonesian Solar Box Cookers
    VL - 22
    ID - 20
    ER -
  • this is currently broken, sorry. Follow this thread for updates, which should come pretty soon:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/45710/ris-import-from-endnote-mac-yosemite-to-zotero-standalone/
  • There's a bug in the most recent version of Zotero that prevents file attachments from importing. We're working on a fix, which hopefully should be out in the next few days.