Zotero does not start

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero doesn't fully start.
  • my zotero does not start at all. It shows error and is frozen as if it was updating. when I click the button update it quits.
  • when I click the button update it quits.
    What button, exactly? What are you seeing on screen?
  • There was an error starting Zotero.

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570015 (NS_ERROR_XPC_CI_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.createInstance]" nsresult: "0x80570015 (NS_ERROR_XPC_CI_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/utilities_internal.js :: Zotero.Utilities.Internal.sha1 :: line 217" data: no]
    Zotero.Utilities.Internal.sha1@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/utilities_internal.js:217:14
    Zotero.Retractions._valueToKey@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/retractions.js:652:14
    Zotero.Retractions._addItemKeyMapping@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/retractions.js:737:15
    Zotero.Retractions._cacheDOIMappings@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/retractions.js:699:7
    From previous event:
    ZoteroService@file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/components/zotero-service.js:352:7
    @chrome://zotero/content/include.js:4:14
  • Not sure why the update button isn't working, but start by installing Zotero 5.0.69 from the download page to see if that helps.
  • Will I loose my library? I worry about this. I did not connect it to the online account. It is just on my comp
  • No, it won't affect your data in any way.
  • edited June 25, 2019
    (In general, of course, you should always make sure you have a backup of your Zotero data directory, or ideally just your whole computer in an automated manner.)