Zotero integration error

Hello guys, I have a problem with Zotero.
I use Word for mac 16.22 and MacOs Mojave 10.14.3.

So I had troubleshooting to have the Zotero bar in Word so I installed it manually thanks to protocols I found here.
So now I have Zotero in Word but I'm unable to insert citation , I get this message : "Zotero could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate extension is installed and try again".

I see Zotero in Word add in.
I tried to reinstall the word plugin through preferences->cite->reinstall word add in and had an error message.

So I'm lost... If anyone has an idea or even better a solution, you have my full attention.

Thanks by advance.

• I tried to reinstall the word plugin through preferences->cite->reinstall word add in and had an error message.
    what was the exact error message you got?
  • @polin31: Go to Tools → Add-ons → Extensions in Zotero and make sure the Word plugin appears and is enabled.
  • @adamsmith I forgot to post that :
    Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.

[Exception... "Word does not appear to be installed on this computer. Please install Microsoft Word, then try again. @[install:install.m:183]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///Users/Pauline/Documents/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js :: checkStatus :: line 211" data: no]

@dstillman : the plugin appears here.
  • and is enabled of course :)
  • That's odd. Is Word in its usual location in the Applications folder?

In any case, you can follow the manual installation instructions.
  • @polin31: Wait, you have the Zotero application in your Documents folder, which is very unusual — and makes me think you probably have Word in a non-standard location as well. Is this a personal computer or a work computer? Is there a reason you have Zotero in Documents instead of Applications? Programs should pretty much always be installed in Applications.
  • @dstillman this is a personnal computer, there is no particular reason for this installation folder. To be frank this is my girlfriend's Mac I'm trying to fix and I'm a PC man... So I'm a bit confused with MacOs...
    I see word in the application folder.
    I already installed manually the add-in which appears in Word.
  • Ok I have the solution, for I don't know the reason zotero was not up to date... I updated it and everything works fine now...
    I feel confused not to have checked/noticed it.
    Sorry for making you lost time for such a stupid thing! Thanks for your help.
  • edited May 15, 2019
    Isn’t Zotero in a Mac documents folder asking for trouble? This suggests that the Zotero database might also be in the documents folder. Have changes made it now safe to have the database in iCloud? The documents folder seems to regularly sync with iCloud. @dstillman
  • There's no indication from the above that the data directory is in Documents. If it is, and iCloud syncing of Documents and Desktop is on, that would be dangerous, yes, and it should be moved back to the default location.

(The Zotero app should also be moved to Applications, just because programs don't belong in Documents.)