Error when copying from one note into a new note. Report ID 1139614885

I was copying a part of a note which was generated by Zotfile's Extracted Annotations functionality, into a new child note. When I got the error message "An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero."

Thanks.

[JavaScript Error: "error opening PDF: /Users/gmh/Zotero/storage/A6BEWKMR/Howarth et al. - 2011 - Should fracking stop.pdf Unix error 2 during operation open on file /Users/gmh/Zotero/storage/A6BEWKMR/Howarth et al. - 2011 - Should fracking stop.pdf (No such file or directory)" {file: "chrome://zotfile/content/pdfextract/toc.js" line: 14}]
logError@chrome://zotfile/content/pdfextract/toc.js:14:13
onFileError@chrome://zotfile/content/pdfextract/toc.js:90:13
Handler.prototype.process@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:935:21
this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:813:7
this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/<@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:747:11

version => 5.0.63, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.14, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.63, extensions => ZotFile (5.0.9, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.63, extension), Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.18.SA.5.0.63, extension), Shockwave Flash (31.0.0.122, plugin)
  • Good Afternoon Team Zotero (@bwiernik @dstillman)
    I was running Debug Output Logging as the issue occurred a second time. (Should be noted that it was copying from the same note).

DEBUG ID: D497975896
  • edited March 17, 2019
    Debug ID D1324819124: When trying to paste the following into a comment (this is the 4th time that I have had this error, each with a different comment) --
    "Have fracking-return fluids contaminated drinking water? Yes, although the evidence is not as strong as for methane contamination, and none of the data has yet appeared in the peer-reviewed literature (although a series of articles in The New York Times documents the problem, for example go.nature.com/58hxot and go.nature. com/58koj3). Contamination can happen through blowouts, surface spills from storage facilities, or improper disposal of fracking fluids." (Howarth et al 2011:273)

I got the error. Here are other Debug IDs D892043997; D1076973816
  • Could you share the exact steps you're taking to reproduce this? It looks like you're duplicating an item here, but you don't mention that in your description.
  • Hi @dstillman,

It occurred in three different ways.

The first was I duplicated a previous note. Then copied and pasted the passage from within the Extracted Annotations note from ZotFile into the duplicated note. It threw the error when I was doing the paste.

The second was creating a new child note. Then copied and pasted a passage from the Extracted Annotations note from ZotFile into the new note. It again threw the error when I was doing the paste.

The third was I created a new note. Then was copying content directly from the PDF (via Preview on MacOS). It again threw the error when I was doing the paste.

These issues occurred randomly. While it failed the first time, after restarting Zotero, I was able to execute the copy and paste that I wanted. Then a few notes later it occurred again.