Zotero very slow after update: Windows OS

Hi there,

I see from another thread that you've fixed a bug introduced into Zotero's running speed in MAC OS in recent updates (the thread "Zotero consuming >100% CPU Mac OS X").

I'm having a similar slow-down now in my two Windows machines. First it was only afflicting my Windows 10 machine; now it's afflicting my Windows 7 Enterprise machine as well. After every single tab-move (i.e., adding one tag and tabbing to add another, or adding an author's last name and tabbing to add the first name) there is a VERY long wait where the CPU usage jumps to around 26% or so before dropping to near zero again when I'm able to input again.

Thanks for any help or updates you can provide to Windows users feeling the same pain as MAC users were. I'm currently running 5.0.62, which is the version of Zotero that introduced the problem to my Windows 7 Enterprise machine.
  • Could you provide a Debug ID for an operation that's slow?
  • Sure, here you go. D516232064

I deleted about five extraneous elements in an automatically downloaded citation.

Prior to the update, doing this would have been seamlessly quick: delete/tab, delete/tab, delete/tab and so on.

As it was, it took about 25 seconds instead of maybe 3.
  • Hi there,

Did my Debug ID help at all? Are you working on this? I'm still having the issue and could send another Debug ID if that would help.

Thanks.
  • Thanks, I'll keep my eye on that one too!

r
  • Could you install the latest Zotero beta and let us know if that fixes the problem for you?
  • I'm giving it a shot now.
  • I've installed the beta and, yes, it seems to fix the problem. All the functions that slowed it down on my Windows 10 machine are running more or less as fast as I'm used to or would expect. I don't have my Windows 7 machine here so can't test it probably until Monday, but for Windows 10 (the machine I first had the problem with) this seems to fix it!

Thank you so much!
  • OK, the fix is included in Zotero 5.0.63, available now. Let us know if you run into any further problems.
  • Great -- again, thanks so much for your help with this issue, it makes working with Zotero (which I do a lot) much smoother.

I am still having the issue on my Windows 10 machine ("Zotero download display buggy on new install") that we discussed a couple of weeks back in this thread: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/75741/zotero-download-display-buggy-on-new-install#latest

On Windows 10, given that I have lots of 'cross references' in Notes (using the 'Related' function) to other notes, it frequently get the "blank box" we discussed" at that time and have to restart Zotero to make it responsive again.

Once again, any help you could provide would be much appreciated, it's an amazing program.