Zotero 5.0.61 & 5.0.62

After the recent updates, when i edit any field in any citation, Zotero becomes unresponsive for about 10-15 seconds.

Note: i don't sync; i don't have any add-ons; my library consists of two collections, each about ten thousand citations with no attachments.
  • When you say "edit any field in any citation" you are referring to editing items in Zotero, right? Not in a Word (etc.) document?

Could you provide a debug ID that includes any such operation taking unduly long together with your operating system
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output

• Yes, i am referring to editing items in Zotero. My operation system is Windows 7. The Debug ID is D917297172.
  • Could you install the latest Zotero beta and see if that fixes this for you?

How many total top-level items do you have?
  • Zotero 5.0.63-beta.1+94ccba45b seems to work fine with one exception: when i edit tags Zotero becomes unresponsive for about 10-15 seconds.

i have 21828 items in my Zotero library.
  • And that didn't happen in 5.0.60 with your library?

Do you keep the tag selector open or closed?
  • edited March 15, 2019
    I'm guessing/hoping that you have the tag selector closed and that explains the remaining difference here. I've pushed another beta build — 5.0.63-beta.2+cdf9d7ff3 — that should restore the behavior of 5.0.60 of not processing tag-related updates when the tag selector is closed.

That doesn't address remaining performance issues with the tag selector in large libraries with many tags, which will take some more work, but it will mean that keeping the tag selector closed will again be a workaround to speed things up.

If you're still seeing any other issues in the latest beta, let us know. Otherwise, we'll release this as 5.0.63 soon.
  • The fix described above is now available in Zotero 5.0.63. Let us know if you run into any further problems.
  • Zotero 5.0.63 does not solve the problem: when i add or delete a tag, Zotero becomes unresponsive for 10-15 seconds. There were no such problems before the recent updates (5.0.61, 5.0.62, 5.0.63).

One more thing with the recent updates: when i am saving a citation using Zotero connector (Chrome), while the item is being loaded into Zotero, two Chrome windows pop-up, asking me to select the citation and to save it. Such pop-up windows makes sense if there are multiple citations to choose from, but not if there is only one (which is being saved anyway).
  • You didn't respond about the tag selector. Can you do that?

Re: the Select Items dialog, that's likely just a question of where you're saving from and the translator being used, and generally just means Zotero could only detect a DOI on the page, which always prompts for confirmation. You can hover over the save button to see what translator it's using. If you think something isn't working right, start a new thread and provide an example URL.
  • i don't understand what is meant by 'having/keeping the tag selector closed'.

When i want to add a tag, i click the Tags tab, then Add buttion, then i enter the text and hit enter---and then Zotero becomes unresponsive for 10-15 seconds.
  • Oh, i see. i have never seen it until now -- it's minimized. How does it relate to the recent slow-down when editing Tags section?
  • It's what I describe above — when the tag selector is open, Zotero has to do more work to update it when tags are modified, and in libraries with many tags, that can slow things down a bit. In 5.0.60 and earlier, keeping the tag selector closed avoided that work. There was a bug in 5.0.61/6.0.62 that caused Zotero to still perform that extra work even when the tag selector was closed. We (mostly) fixed that in 5.0.63, but I think know why you're still having trouble — the extra work is currently only skipped if the tag selector is closed after Zotero is started. So if you open and then close the tag selector, I'm guessing the slowdown will go away.

I've just pushed a new Zotero beta that should properly fix this even when the tag selector is closed when Zotero starts. Can you install that and let us know if it fixes the problem for you?

(And as I say, we'd still like to fix the slowdown when the tag selector is open, but that will take a bit more work. For now, keeping it closed should be the workaround in large libraries.)
  • Zotero 5.0.64 fixes the problem for me: adding and removing tags in Zotero 5.0.64 is as quick as it was in Zotero 5.0.60.
  • OK, great. We're going to try to improve performance of the tag selector so that people with a large number of tags can still keep it open.

Just as a data point, how many items do you have in your library?
  • There are 21,868 items in my Zotero library.