Zotero.Cite.System.retrieveItem called on non-item 1983

Hi, I'm working on a Word (16.16.3) document with many citations (Nature style) and a bibliography.
While at home, I cleaned up some duplicates by merging items. Now that I'm back at work working on the paper, when I try to edit/insert citations/refresh, I get the following error: `Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Zotero.Cite.System.retrieveItem called on non-item 1983`

I suspect Zotero is calling on an item that has been merged and therefore cannot find it. How can I find out which item(s) are affected (I have hundreds of citations) so I can fix the error?
  • I have no idea how, but the problem was resolved by changing the document preferences from Nature format to APA format and then back again to Nature format.
  • Hya,

I also ran into same situation.
    Linux Debian buster (Kernel 4.18) Libreoffice 6.1.3.2
    Zotero 5.0.58

Message was "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Zotero.Cite.System.retrieveItem called on non-item 43543"

Vancouver format -> nature, then back to Vancouver worked as did with rcassidy.

cheers
  • Same thing happened to me. I went through my duplicates (Zotero 5.0.60) and cleaned them all out and then the next time I was working in my document (Microsoft Word for Mac 16.16.6) I got the error message "Zotero.Cite.System.retrieveItem called on non-item 136". I changed from Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (author-date) to Nature and back and it worked fine. Thanks for the suggestions.