Incorrect Journal Title: Addiction

Sorry another journal that is being incorrectly referenced from pubmed is 'Addiction' which is always in the reference list as 'Addiction (Abingdon, England)'. The place is for some reason being imported to the Publication field but it is a journal and should not have a place name! Thanks
  • Also when referencing the journal 'Science' it should not have a place name after it (currently importing as 'Science (New York, N.Y.)' to the publication field.
  • When there are two of more journals with the same name it is standard practice to include the original place of publication in the "official" titles and abbreviations to distinguish one from the other(s). When a journal ceases publication under a title, changes its name, and then returns to the original name it is standard practice to include the first year of publication in the title and abbreviation. The standard is to include this information within (curved brackets). Rarely, a publication will abandon its original name, another publication will assume that name, the original publication resumes publication under its original name. In these cases both a city and the first year of publication are both included. There are a few other circumstances where the "offical" ISO title of a journal can include a place and year.
  • Right, but I'm not happy with us importing this information because it's obviously never cited (and it's arguably incorrect to include in citations.)
    I don't see any alternative to just blanket removing the parentheses on import, though, even though I'm sure there are edge-cases where it'd be desirable to keep it.
  • As far as I can see, journal abbreviations never include the parentheses. So, styles with abbreviated journal names do not have this issue. At least in biomedical sciences, I'd venture to guess that full journal names in bibliographies are not common (I just went through >20 journals I could think of, and none of them used the full name).

Also, they are appearing only because the OP is using PubMed (which I use almost exclusively as well). If he were to save the same bibliographic information from the journal's website to Zotero, he would get the simpler names.
  • @adamsmith I was _not_ arguing that the expanded titles with organization names be included in Zotero metadata to be cited. Indeed, although publisher-provided metadata includes the long title when presented to database systems via FTP, my and other database providers' systems use the journal ISSN to reference the sensible short title instead of the publisher-provided long name. My database completely ignores the publisher-provided title and instead uses an ISSN-based lookup table that contains hand-edited standard information. I believe that database providers that intend their metadata to be used for citation (as opposed to a library catalog) all similarly edit their journal title standard listings from the official journal titles. I was simply reporting that PubMed, OCLC, and LoC metadata present the full title because that was what was originally registered.

@enozkan The reason you rarely see citations with journal abbreviations that include cities in parens is because of the rarity of the journals that require parenthetical information. This is a different issue from journal subtitles that include organization names.
  • @DWL-SDCA I am only talking about parentheticals for bibliographic data acquired from PubMed. Title abbreviations offered by PubMed/NLM do not contain parentheticals, and these abbreviations do get saved in Zotero's "Journal Abbr." line. I believe that's relevant information for the OP's case. (I am not sure if PubMed exposes the ISO title abbreviations or NML's abbreviations to Zotero or both, but they tend to be the same except for "." at the end of abbreviated words.)

Your point about original registered name is well taken.
  • I find that pubmed is in general the least likely to cause errors in indexing (particularly around year/vol./issue). APA style (i.e. required for most Psychology publications) requires full names not abbreviations of all journals. I publish in Psychology journals (APA style) and often reference Neuroscience and Addiction journals hence the reason these are all coming up (I've had the problems for ages but am just posting about them now because I don't always catch the issues and my supervisor is getting irritated - I don't want to switch reference manager!)
  • In general, I would recommend importing from the journal official abstract pages—that will certainly get better data than pubmed. As folks have indicated in these threads, it’s a reasonable position that listing the location of journals with duplicate titles is correct, particularly in biomedical journals, which is why PubMed includes them. That won’t be the case from the journal webpages.
  • I'm not sure what APA rules dictate re. journals with the same name? I've never seen the place listed behind the journal name. It would be great if you could ensure that the APA formatting zotero provides is in fact correct in this regard. Many thanks
  • I often see APA-style journal articles with parenthetical journal name disambiguations. I'll try to remember to post example DOIs here.

Please also see @adamsmith and my comments about the ethical necessity of getting a useful journal name in your citations.
    See: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/74881/incorrect-journal-title-journal-of-neuroscience#latest