Can't copy items to group library

This discussion was created from comments split from: Can't move my library to group library.
  • I am also having problems copying items from my library to a group library. I have about 2000 items in my library. I can copy individual items to the group library with no problem. When I try to copy groups of items, nothing happens.

I would like a way to copy all of my library to the group library. Is there a way to do this and know that every item has been copied?
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for a drag attempt that fails?

In any case, we're working to improve performance when dragging large numbers of items, but in the meantime, the easiest option is just to drag in smaller batches. It's not possible to drag an item more than once.
  • D140903503

What does it mean that it's not possible to drag an item more than once? Does that mean that if a group of 10 items is dragged and one of them is already in the group library, then the other 9 will not be copied?

Are there any tools to manage copying/dragging large numbers of items? Currently it's quite challenging because (1) I can't figure out how to tell whether the copy has worked without visually checking each item individually, which is tedious for 2000 items; (2) the drag frequently fails; and (3) I constantly have to scroll around the library because the view scrolls back to the top of the window when I switch between my library and the group library - there doesn't seem to be a way to save my place if I drag 100 items at a time.

• edited October 18, 2018
    First make sure this still happens with BBT disabled, and provide another Debug ID for a drag that fails.
    Does that mean that if a group of 10 items is dragged and one of them is already in the group library, then the other 9 will not be copied?
    No. It means that only the other 9 will be copied.
  • [JavaScript Error: "key must be an 8-character string in Zotero.Attachments.getStorageDirectoryByLibraryAndKey()"]
    OK, it looks like there's a specific item that's failing, with an error I don't believe anyone has ever reported.

First check your database integrity from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences. If that passes, can you narrow down this set of items to find the one that fails? You should be able to do so easily by copying in halves, and then half of the failing half, and so on, until you find the one that doesn't work.
  • Checking database integrity gives Passed: No errors were found in the database.

Here's a specific item that fails: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-58592-5_17

Is there information from my library item that you need?
  • Yes, can you install the latest Zotero beta over your current version and provide another Debug ID from that? That might give us a bit more information on what's happening. (Your data won't be affected, and there are very few changes between 5.0.56 and the beta other than the extra debugging info for this.)
  • OK, we'll need to debug this further on our end, but it looks like that item has two attachments, and one doesn't have a file path associated with it. If you delete that broken attachment and empty the trash, does this still happen when you drag that item?
  • After deleting the broken attachment and emptying the trash, I could drag the item successfully. It seems that is the origin of the problem.

Is there a way to find all the items in my library with broken attachments so that I can fix them?