Can't move my library to group library

This feels like a dumb question, but I am going to ask it anyways. So when I have zotero open, I see my libraries and the group libraries that I belong to. When I try to drag one particular collection down to the group library, nothing happens. Nothing spins, nothing.

What I am doing wrong?
Thanks so much for the help.
  • Can you drag&drop individual items?

And also to be clear - this won't work on the Zotero website - you need to do this in the client, i.e. either in Zotero Standalone or in the Firefox Add-on that opens when you click on "Zotero" at the bottom right of your Firefox.
  • Also, if you've dragged the collection already, you won't be able to drag it again, even if the contents have changed.

You also need to have write access to the group. (If you click on an item field in the right pane and get a textbox, you have write access.)
  • Ok. I try to drag and drop to the group libraries, but this does not work. Nothing shows up in the furthest right hand pane. Does this mean I dont have write access?
  • take this step by step.
    Select an item that is already in the group you want to add items to. Any item.
    You'll see the item information all the way on the right.
    Now click in any field in the right-hand pane, let's say "Abstract". Can you get a cursor in that field and write a letter? If so, you have write access.
    If there are no items in the group, click on the group libraries icon. Then try to click on the green plus (where you usually would manually create new items) - can you?
  • When I click in the group libraries, I see items in that library and the right hand panel says "4 items in this view". If I click in one of the items in the middle panel, it does show up in the right panel. When I go to click in the abstract area, nothing happens.

Does this mean I dont have write access?
  • Yes, that would mean that you don't have write access on that group.
  • an administrator of the group can grant you write access in the group settings on zotero.org
  • That was the fix! Thanks so much!!
  • Hi - I'm having the same issue but I do have write access. I'm trying to novel a large part of my library (with lots of sub collections) to my newly created group but it won't let me - is there a size limit on how much you can use at once?
  • For novel read move...
  • can you move individual items?
    There shouldn't be a size limit, no.
  • yes- I can move e.g. one of the subcollections. It may be a storage issue though I just bought more storage. I think the group function creates a new library rather than mirrors an old one so I may need more storage to duplicate my library in the group?
  • It's not a storage issue. That has no effect on what you can do locally, and you get an explicit message at sync time when you hit a storage quota.

What's happening (or not happening), exactly?
  • ok - thanks. Re the details, I have a folder in my own library that has about 30 sub-collections (some with their own sub- sub-collections). I try and shift the whole folder and nothing happens. If I take one of the subcollections and shift that, then as I drag it to the groupsite, the group name disappears briefly and the subcollection is accepted. The name briefly disappearing seems to be an indicator that it will work - this doesn't happen when I shift the whole folder.
  • If you've dragged a collection previously, you won't be able to drag it again unless you delete the previously copied one. Currently there's not a great way to keep collections/items updated across libraries. (Any previously copied items in the collection will remain, so assuming you have copied the collection before, you could delete it and drag it again and any existing items wouldn't be copied again.)

The name disappearing is a display bug, but yes, it means the drag will work.
  • thanks - I think that may be the cause (same as you can't put an item into a collection more than once). I'm just copying over the subcollections one by one instead of the entire lot - this seems to be working fine. It would be great if items in my group library would simultaneously sync with my own library - remembering to ensure that you have duplicated the items in your group and your library is a pain. But love Zotero otherwise.
  • When I try to drag large numbers of items to a new collection, from another collection, I get the stop symbol (circle with a slash across it). Same when I try to move a group of items from my library to a group I have set up. But I can move individual items in both cases. Why is this so? How can I move groups of items?
  • Problem solved. When I made the associated attachments and screen shot items no longer visible I was able to copy without dificulty