Issue with captures from Twitter

I have an issue with Zotero (5.0.48) using Firefox (60.0.1) connector. When capturing from Twitter, the snapshot is empty https://gist.github.com/drjwbaker/e60d7e99c4650561344f2262c2a1be3e Note, if I use 'Save to Zotero (Web Page with Snapshot' it is fine, though that is a slightly annoying workaround as I need to edit metadata afterwards. Is this a known error? Appears I'm not alone https://twitter.com/sharon_howard/status/1004446083999846401?s=03
  • I have the same issue with Zotero 5.0.52 and Chrome on Windows 10. I'm not 100% sure the Twitter snapshot is completely empty as it seems to be continually trying to load something, though the result is a blank white page.

As an additional workaround to avoid having to re-type metadata, you can do both "Save to Zotero (Web Page with Snapshot)" AND "Save to Zotero (Twitter)". Then, in your Zotero client, delete the snapshot from the Twitter version, move the good snapshot across from the web snapshot version, and delete the now-hollowed out shell of the web version.
  • An even faster workflow than jim’s Would be to just merge the two items (if you save as Twitter first it will be the default selected version).
  • Report ID: 1090677584

Having the same issue using Firefox ESR (52.9.0 (64-bit)) on Linux. If you try and view the snapshop normally it looks like something is trying to load on a white page but opening the html file for the snapshot shows that it is just a tiny redirect file. This is the body content of mine

"""

document.cookie = "app_shell_visited=1;path=/;max-age=5";

location.replace(location.href.split("#")[0]);

"""

Using the connector on Chromium (68.0.3440.75 (Developer Build) built on Debian 9.5, running on Debian 9.4 (64-bit)) produces the expected actual html snapshot along with all the other accompanying files in the snapshot directory. Happy to help debug this if you need more info or to prod on an affected machine.
  • Here same problem. Any solution or workaround?
  • @lupa18: Make sure you have the latest version of Zotero. The problem of blank snapshots from Twitter was fixed in 5.0.56.

If you're still seeing it, we'd want to see a Debug ID from Zotero for a save attempt that produces an empty snapshot.
  • thanks @dstillman !!

I realized I wasn't logged in twitter: after I got logged in, then snapshots work well.
  • I also get an empty snapshot when saving a tweet with the connector. I have an updated Zotero version. This is my Debug ID: D364097069
  • Hello Adam et al,
    Is this the current state of things - currently, we can't import from twitter into Zotero? Twitter import still does seem to be broken, but I guess I'm asking if anyone has come up with a workaround since 2020-04-21 when adamsmith posted this comment.
    Thanks,
    Sam
  • @samdiener: No — a couple people have contributed possible solutions but they didn't pan out. (The new Twitter interface does everything it can to prevent this sort of scraping.) We're working on it now, though, and should have something in the next few days.
  • An updated Twitter translator is now available. It's not perfect — Twitter now purposely makes it extremely hard to extract data without using their API, which we can't really do in the desktop app, so some things (quoted tweets, links shown as cards) aren't included — but it's much better than nothing. It also now takes a reliable, static snapshot of the page, which can be referred back to even if the tweet is deleted.

Your Zotero Connector should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Translators in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences.
This discussion has been closed.