Editing APA style to include abstract for annotated bibliography?

I just tried to modify the APA style to include the abstract for an annotated bibliography. I was able to insert the line:

<text variable="abstract" prefix=" Abstract: " />

before the /layout line at the end of the Bibliography section and it now includes the abstract, but I can't figure out how to make the following mods:

1. How do I force a new line before the "Abstract" prefix? If I add

display="block"

in that line, it puts the abstract on a new line, but not the prefix.

2. The bibiography section forces a period at the end. How can I force that before the abstract field?

Thanks
  • edited November 8, 2008
    Why would you use an abstract for an annotated bibliography? The content of the annotations should really be your notes.

But that aside, something like this should work:

<layout>
    <group suffix=".">
    <text macro="author" suffix="."/>
    <text macro="issued"/>
    <text macro="title" prefix=" "/>
    <text macro="container-contributors"/>
    <text macro="secondary-contributors"/>
    <text variable="container-title" font-style="italic"/>
    <text variable="collection-title" prefix=", " suffix="."/>
    <text macro="locators"/>
    <group delimiter=". " prefix=". ">
    <text macro="publisher"/>
    <text macro="access"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    <text value="Abstract" display="block"/>
    <text variable="abstract" display="block"/>
    </layout>

Note what I've done with the outer group, and the text/value element.
  • Thanks Brian -

Will see how that works. For this course assignment we were told we could use the supplied abstract. Is there a way to use one of the notes entries instead of an abstract? That would be more useful as I progress through the program. I didn't see that as a variable listed in the csl_syntax page.
  • Oops - sorry - meant to say Bruce :(

I just noticed that I can use the extra field and the text variable "note" to pick that up. So I can do two different styles for an annotated bibliography, one with the abstract field and one with my notes.

Jonathan
  • To Jonathan,

I am interested in using your modified APA style as I don't know how to modify the code - did you post this to the Zotero site?
  • I'd love to be able to do both of those edits; which file are we looking at?
  • I am very interested in this as well. I have managed to change the style to include the abstract by using the text/variable element, but I could not get notes to display.

Jonathan, you wrote that you "can use the extra field and the text variable 'note' to pick that up," but everything I tried either displayed nothing or caused zotero to pop up an error message.

Thanks for your help!
  • edited May 16, 2009
    I wouldn't no how to map the notes, but what Jonathan notes above is that the call
    <text variable="note"/>
    displays whatever is in the 'Extra' field (not the note attached to the item).
  • @ adamsmith: Thank you for explaining what was meant.

@ Everyone else: Is there any way to get notes into a bibliography?