Zotero is not responding

edited May 1, 2018
Hello all,

My Zotero is not responding at startup after I updated Win10 April Update. Even I cannot obtain the Debug ID. However, I get some debug information by open Zotero in the command line with the command "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\zotero.exe" -jsconsole.

The bug information is listed below:

Could not read 'file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroIntegration.xpt'.

Warning: unreachable code after return statement
Source File: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/util.js
Line: 201 eval(obj)

I also try to delete the old profile and add a new profile of zotero, but it still does not work
  • Yes, I've tried Reporting Startup Errors. And the error information has been posted in this discussion.

The bug information is listed below:

Could not read 'file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroIntegration.xpt'.

Warning: unreachable code after return statement
    Source File: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://zotero/bluebird/util.js
    Line: 201 eval(obj)
  • Yes, I obviously read what you posted. I'm referring to this:
    If you can't access the Help menu, or if the problem doesn't occur during a restart, start Zotero via the command line.
  • No, I can't access the Help menu. This bug information was obtained by the starting the Zotero via the command line:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\zotero.exe" -jsconsole

And the -ZoteroDebug parameter doesn't work in my computer.

The screenshot can be viewed by the link https://imgur.com/a/43nR5FY

• And the -ZoteroDebug parameter doesn't work in my computer.
    What do you mean by that?
  • And more generally, when you say "My Zotero is not responding at startup", what does that mean? What exactly happens when you start Zotero?
  • edited May 2, 2018
    Actually, before you do anything else, try installing Zotero 5.0.47, which is now available. If you can't access the Help menu for "Check for Updates…", you can just get it from the download page and install over your current version. (Your data won't be affected.)
  • Hi Dstillman,

I've tried Zotero 5.0.45, 46, 47 on my own computer. However, none of them works on my computer. The startup error is the same for each version.

Not responding means the status of Zotero thread in task manager is "not responding", it occurs when I try to start Zotero.exe. It is running but I can't click any button on the Zotero GUI. And Zotero didn't respond to me when I try to click anywhere in the Zotero. The mouse cursor is a blue circle which means Zotero is still loading. You can check the image via this link https://imgur.com/a/uXLedXM.

-ZoteroDebug parameter refers Reporting Startup Error[https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#reporting_startup_errors] webpage. Because I can't access the Help menu, I need to start Zotero via the command line by command
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\zotero.exe" -ZoteroDebug
    But it still doesn't work, no any debug dialog showed after excuting this command.
    Following the instructions on the webpage, I replaced “-ZoteroDebug” with “-jsconsole”. Zotero opened with a separate Error Console window showing errors that have occurred. And the error information was posted as you saw.

• So Zotero is using the CPU in your screenshot, which suggests it's doing something. How long have you let it go?
  • Zotero is running under administrator account for more than 15 minutes. It is still not responding and the CPU occupancy of Zotero is always around 18%. I can make sure it is not caused by the slow hardware issues. I just bought my computer last year. The setting is intel 7700HQ (4cores, 8threads), GTX 1060 GPU and 16GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM. I guess it is caused by some programming environments or incompatible office 16. Because I noticed that Zotero always opened up a dialog box showing Installing "Zotero Word for Windows Integration". I will reinstall the whole office 2016 and check whether Zotero works.
  • edited May 2, 2018
    Because I noticed that Zotero always opened up a dialog box showing Installing "Zotero Word for Windows Integration".
    Oh, you're seeing that every time?

One thing you can try, with Zotero closed, is opening your Zotero profile directory, opening prefs.js in a text editor (e.g., Notepad), and adding this line:

user_pref("extensions.zoteroWinWordIntegration.skipInstallation", true);

[Edit: Corrected line]

Then save the file and try again.
  • I've uninstalled Office 2016. And added the line

pref("extensions.zoteroWinWordIntegration.skipInstallation", true);

at the end of that js file. The Zotero is still not responding and still shows that dialog box.

I also tried to add the line

user_pref("extensions.zoteroWinWordIntegration.skipInstallation", true);

at the end of that js file. The dialog box disappeared, however, Zotero is still not responding. And the bug information is same.
  • If you need other information of my system or Zotero, please let me know. I can give you any information of my system.
  • Right, sorry, I meant user_pref.

So this is annoying, and I apologize for the hassle, but to get proper debug output here you can try installing Cygwin (just to your desktop is fine), running the Cygwin terminal (which is should create a shortcut for), and then running the same zotero.exe command with -ZoteroDebugText instead of -ZoteroDebug. That will hopefully log some lines to the terminal that say what's going on.
  • Thanks for you kind instructions. The output is too long and cannot be shown in this comment. You can access the output information via this link https://1drv.ms/t/s!Al5QMtUMjUcGi4x9MHTyhW0RhYlGRg
  • zotero(3)(+0000116): WinWordIntegration[install]: Looking for Word in HKCU

zotero(3)(+0000002): WinWordIntegration[install]: Word version 16 found
    Hmm, that's with user_pref("extensions.zoteroWinWordIntegration.skipInstallation", true); still set in prefs.js? Make sure that line is only appearing once and is set to true with Zotero closed.
  • my apologies, I just reinstalled Zotero again after I uninstalled the Office and reinstalled Office. So this setting was overwritten. That's the new record after I put that command at the end of Js file.

Please check the output again.

https://1drv.ms/t/s!Al5QMtUMjUcGi4x-sJUj7bgYPe42qg

Thanks,
  • zotero(3)(+0000000): User interface ready in 1064 ms
    I'm afraid that looks totally normal. Can you describe (or show) exactly what you're seeing on screen? Is the Zotero window appearing? If so, what's in it?
  • The Zotero window looks normal, just doesn't respond to any click. I've decided to reinstall the whole operating system. Hope this method can fix the problem. Really thanks for your help.
  • Zotero works now ^_^, After I reinstalled my operating system. Now it works
  • Hi dstillman,

Zotero doesn't work again. I can make sure Zotero is not compatible with one of these softwares VMware Pro 14, Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop. I guess it is most probable that Zotero is not compatible with VMware Pro. Because VMware installed so many drivers on the computer. Even I uninstall the Vmware, Zotero still doesn't work.
  • I have met the same issue, how fix it?
  • @xiaobaifighting Reinstall the operating system and do not install the VMware enhanced keyboard driver.
  • My gosh, I really don't want to reinstall my system, it's a huge project! What about just uninstall VM?
  • @LinyunaShi One thing is that I never install VMware, I met this issue just after updating my system to Win10 April
  • @xiaobaifighting I fix this problem after reinstalling the operating system
  • Dear Shi,
    Did you just reinstall Win10 and then it Ztero worked??
  • Dear Jamescock,

I reinstall win10 twice, both situations is that Zotero worked at the beginning but it didn't work after one day. And the bug information is same.
  • edited May 10, 2018
    Zotero works again after Windows 10 entering safe mode.

Update:
    Zotero works if I disconnect network.
  • I also have the same problem and I can confirm that switching network off solves it. The same problem happens to a fresh install of zotero on 2nd machine