An error occurred while saving this item. See Troubleshooting Translator Issues for more information

Hi.
My name is Nuno,
I’ve been using zotero for a long time.
Today I tried to connect zotero with EBSCO host search, as i’ve already done before without any problem.
But today i’ve the same problem for a lot of times:

#An error occurred while saving this item. See Troubleshooting Translator Issues for more information.

How can I fix it?

I’ve the last version of zotero 5.0
I've the right connector
I can do the same in other search database like cochrane.

How can i update my zotero definitions to be able to use it on EBSCO host?

Please, help me,
  • What is the specific url you are trying to save?
  • edited April 3, 2018
    Hi.

At my organization, we have the same problem since February 2017. Using Zotero plug-in in Chrome with EBSCOhost was working fine until this moment. When I am in EBSCOhost, the error message that is displayed says this: "Saving to [the name of my file in Zotero]... An error occurred while saving with EBSCOhost. Attempting to save using DOI. An error occurred while saving this item. See Troubleshooting Translator Issues for more information." I read this page and others, but without finding a solution. I read that EBSCO's folder is cited in 'Translators with Major Issues' (https://www.zotero.org/support/known_translator_issues), but the problem I am talking about is not related to the folder: it is occurring in the main results page.

I have just sent an error report (ID: 421370479) from Chrome's Zotero plugin 'Options > Advanced'. It seems that there is a 'JavaScript Error'.

Does somebody know how to fix this?

Thank you!
  • Do you mean February 2017 or 2018? We'd need a specific EBSCOhost example where this fails, i.e. either database and search terms or a permalink.
  • I really mean February 2017. We can search in those databases via EBSCOhost : AgeLine, CINAHL, ERIC, Environment Complete, Health Policy Reference Center, MEDLINE Complete, Political Science Complete, Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection, PsycINFO, Public Affairs Index and SocINDEX with Full Text.

I have just tested each one of those 11 databases, and the same problem occur if I select all citations. If I select only some of them, I can export directly in Zotero as usual. I searched TI "public health". Here is the link of one citation from ERIC: http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=eric&AN=ED579386&lang=fr&site=ehost-live

In fact, after the error message ("Saving to [the name of my file in Zotero]... An error occurred while saving with EBSCOhost. Attempting to save using DOI. An error occurred while saving this item. See Troubleshooting Translator Issues for more information."), the usual window with all citations opens, but nothing goes in Zotero even if then, it seems to be working again.
  • If I select only some of them, I can export directly in Zotero as usual. I searched TI "public health". Here is the link of one citation from ERIC
    Are you saying that you can or cannot import the item you link to to Zotero? (Works for me).
    I'm understanding your post so that only bulk import fails? Could we focus on ERIC because that's simple and I have it working here? So you select just ERIC, search for public health, and get around 9700 search results?
    Are we seeing the same so far? Then you select how many at once to import?
  • Database: ERIC
    Search: TI "public health"
    Results: 637
    Display - Number of citations per page: 50
    Chrome > Zotero plugin > file icon > 'Select All' [50] > 'OK' > error message (troubleshooting...) > after, even when the citations are displayed in the usual window related to Zotero, none are exported in Zotero

Once the bug has occurred, it stays even if I choose only one citation instead of 'All'. I have to close EBSCOhost and search again. Then...:
    Chrome > Zotero plugin > file icon > I only choose 5 citations (instead a bulk import of 50 with 'Select All') > the usual window related to Zotero is there > all 5 are exported in Zotero
  • @adamsmith I can confirm the problem with EBSCOhost ERIC database. It seems that EBSCOhost begins returning 503 for article pages if you try to load them via XHR or open in a new tab, perhaps to rate-limit. However, clicking on the article links to open in the same window seems to work fine. Not sure if this is something that can be worked around with the translator.
  • I am having a similar problem with Chrome plugin. I tried importing 1 article at a time, and by selecting all (50), with similar error message.

query=(bird+OR+avian+OR+ornitholog*)+AND+(urban+OR+city+OR+cities+OR+metropolitan+OR+cosmopolitan)+AND+(invasive+OR+non-native+OR+nonnative+OR+exotic+OR+alien+OR+non-indigenous+OR+nonindigenous+OR+introduced+OR+naturalized+OR+naturlised)
  • Is "one at a time" still selecting them via Zotero folder icon from the search results or on the individual article page? And what database(s)?
  • I am saving files from Google Scholar and I am having the following error:
    An error occurred while saving this item. See Troubleshooting Translator Issues for more information.
    Please help me to fix the same