Timline on Mac Word 2004 plugin?

• Simon, thanks so much. The footnote style seems to be working.
  • I just updated the version in SVN, and it seems to fix the issue on my machine. Give it a try when you have a chance; the link is still the same as above.
  • Wonderful! It seems to be working fine. Thanks so much!
  • That's fantastic! Thank you so much. This is just what I've been waiting for to be able to go back to Zotero. A quick play around has gone smoothly.
  • It looks like you fixed my problem as well. Sorry for the slow reply. I was out of town for the weekend, but so far it looks like I can insert multiple references and a bibliography without significant trouble.

I use the Nature Journal format just for information purposes. Thanks for fixing it so quickly.
  • edited May 8, 2009
    Great to see a plugin for older software & machines. I've been trying it out on my (9 year old?) PowerBook G3 500MHz 640MB RAM with OSX 4.11 & Word 2004. Has anyone else managed to make it work ok on such an old machine?

The machine normally runs Word just fine, & Firefox 3.08 a little slowly, but not impossibly so.

It takes about 20 seconds to open the Document preferences/Citation style window. Then another 15 to 20 seconds to open the reference selection pane in Firefox; and once I've selected something & clicked ok, about 12 seconds to switch back to Word & throw the error: "This item no longer exists in your Zotero database. Do you want to select a substitute item? Clicking 'No' will delete all citations of this item from your document."

If I click 'No' or 'Cancel' it fails. If I click 'Yes' it does succeed in letting me substitute an item. And on my subsequent attempts it has allowed me to select the supposedly missing item, taking (only) 20 secs to reference selection window and 5-7secs to switch back to word & insert the reference. (I'm guessing it thinks its missing because some script has timed out?)

Perhaps it is just time I updated my machine, but I thought I might check here first whether anyone else uses such an old machine & finds it faster or more workable. Any tips for speeding things up? (Would a much older version of Firefox run it better? I'm using the Zotero 1.5 beta2.)

Thanks to all who've worked on making the software. And thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
    All the best.
    Ian
  • Hi,

I'm really glad to see a Mac plug-in for Word 2004. However, when I open the .dmg that I downloaded with the link from above, I only get to see a little icon with the name "Zotero Microsoft Word 2004 Integration". When I click on it, I can install it, but it has no effect on word (i.e. no zotero icons in my word processor...). Is there any trick? I'm not overly familiar with Macs since I only use it at the office, so I might be overseeing sth...
    Thanks a lot!!!
    Niki
  • Hi Niki,
    I think I had to enable the Zotero tool bar. Go to the 'View' menu; 'toolbars'; & tick the 'Zotero bibliographic management' option. That is with word 2004.
    Hope this helps.
    Ian

PS Replying to my own query above, I am now happily using Zotero on my ancient machine. It is slow, but just about fast enough to be workable. I imagine it works much better on something more modern but I'm not yet ready to spend the money to find out.
  • I hope this is the right thread. I have Word 2008 on my MAC and was worried that the move from 1.5 to 2.0 would necessittate a reinstall of my plug in. But in a quick test, it seems that my citation and bibliographic tools work in 2008 post upgrade to 2.0 One slight difference is that everytime I put in a citation, I am asked to confirm my reference style. Is this how it was all supposed to happen or am I lucky?

For my colleagues above, I have no experience of Word 2004 so I cannot comment on that but 2008 is OK

I look forward to exploring some of the benefits of the 2.0 release
  • Just to let you know, I installed Zotero 2.0 on my Intel Mac 10.4.11, and the alpha Word plug for Word 2004. It seems to work except for one thing. If you try and put a page reference in, it mistakenly places the page number after the footnote number in the main text, so you get eg 1(p23) as your footnote number.
  • I just tried installing the MS Word 2004 integration dmg and I got a message saying disk image failed to mount because there is "no mountable file system". What should I do? I have a OSX 10.5.6 and Zotero 2.0b

michael
  • "The Word 2008 plugin currently only works with OS X 10.5 (Leopard). A 10.4-compatible version will be available in the near future. "

any idea when 'in the near future' will be? I have an OSX 10.4, and so can't use zotero 2 with either word 2004 or 2008. i'd love to upgrade from zotero 1.

thanks
  • ignacio: If you want to try an experimental version, see above.
  • Dan, i tried the experimental version about a week ago, but it came up with an error message when i tried to insert a footnote into word 2004, something like the plugin wasn't compatible with the current version of zotero (even though i had installed zotero 2). it took me a while to figure out how to get back to zotero 1 and recover my data.
  • I don't get the error re footnotes and page numbers - it seems to work in Word 2008 on Mac OX 10.5
  • Stan, yes, as the documentation says, there is a plugin available for Mac OX 10.5, Word 2008. My problem comes because I have Mac OX 10.4: the experimental version for Word 2004/10.4 doesn't seem to work on my computer.
  • Possible - if that is your only MAC it might be a compelling reason to upgrade. 10.5 is a worthwhile upgrade - and Snow Leapard looks great (but you need an Intel based Mac)
  • After upgrading to Zotero 2.0b5, this plugin stopped working reliably for me. Now it sometimes tells me that it can't find Firefox and it refuses altogether to let me edit a bibliography (i.e., add more citations w/o inserting them in the document text). Anyone else running into issues with the plugin and the new Zotero version?

I've tried reinstalling the plugin from the Zotero site, in hopes that the plugin had been updated as well, but that didn't help.
  • I am trying to use Zotero 2.0b5 with word X but it's not working. Is there anybody with a answer to that problem.
    Thanks
  • Word X is not a supported word processor for any version of Zotero:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/which_version#word_processor_compatibility
  • Zotero 1.0.10 was working with Word X on Mac OS X 10.5. Wich plugin should I use to make it wok with Zotero 2.0b5 ?
  • Did you try the experimental Word 2004 plugin for Zotero 2.0b5 (you can find it via the link provided by noksagt above)? That might be your best bet.
  • I have been trying but after installing the downloaded file, there is no change in word. No Zotero toolbar appears and there is no way no make it appears in the menu. Is there something else I can do?
  • hi, I've tried to install the beta plugin for mac 2004 and whenever I try to insert a citation it word tell me that the plugin (1.0b3) is not compatible with zotero (2.0b5) but isn't that the experimental plugin for word 2004?

I downloaded the word 2008 trial version and it integrates fine with zotero but crashes constantly and I really don't want to drop $150 on that very buggy program.

suggestions?
  • whenever I try to insert a citation it word tell me that the plugin (1.0b3) is not compatible with zotero (2.0b5) but isn't that the experimental plugin for word 2004?
    No. Per the documentation, that is for Zotero 1.0. The Zotero 2.0 alpha plugin for Office 2004 is linked and discussed above.
  • Anadk -

I have office 2008 on two macs (10.4 and 10.5 OS) and I have not had stability problems, indeed I find that Office works fine on Mac. You may have some other issues on your computer.
  • I need a way to collaborate with a research assistant. I use 2 computers, one running OSX 10.4 and one running OSX 10.5. I use Word 2004 on both. My assistant has a PC running Windows. I have been a satisfied user of Zotero 1.0, but just upgraded to 2.0 in order to allow for syncing from my university's (WebDAV - supporting) server. I now see that I can't use Zotero 2.0 with OSX 10.4 (right?). Not yet, anyway. So I am looking for any reasonable alternative. Any advice?
  • I am not all the strong on the technology to be honest. I do run two Macs one on 10.4 and the other 10.5 and the Zotero appears to work in the Firefox browser on both. I tend to write my documents on the 10.5. However to answer you, I just used my mini mac running 10.4, Word for Mac 2008 and Zotero 2.06 latest version and was able to drag references from Zotero onto a word document easily. I assume the other functionality works. So I suspect that you should be able to use 2.0 with OS 10.4. Note that I use Office 2008 however. Why don't you try a test with a version of an open office that is supported by Zotero and see if you can make it work on both your Macs, then you will know it is something about Word 2004. If it still does not work, than it seems something particular on the 10.4 Mac. Hope that helps. FYI I don't sync my Zotero between computers via a specific webDav server, I sync my computers via Zotero.
  • alternative see the page before for a link to the experimental plugin, which appears to work just fine for most people on 10.4 and Word 2004.
  • Stan, adamsmith,
    thanks. I guess I'll cross my fingers and try the experimental plugin.

Stan: re "FYI I don't sync my Zotero between computers via a specific webDav server, I sync my computers via Zotero." How do you sync via Zotero? I have not been able to figure that out. Can you give me some hints or point me to the relevant documentation?
This discussion has been closed.