Error message: "citations[(j - 1)].sortedItems.slice(...)[0] is undefined"

I keep getting this error message, which is preventing me from adding citations to a Word document.

Any advice on the cause and/or solution?

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

citations[(j - 1)].sortedItems.slice(...)[0] is undefined
  • I have the same problem and already followed the 8step guidelines for debugging issues but nothing happened :( Is there another solution? Sometimes I can add new citations and like 2mins later (at the exact same point in the document) I can no longer add any citations!
  • The error you are seeing is fixed in the Zotero beta. We are planning to release it soon on the main channel, but until then you can try the beta.
  • edited March 21, 2018
    This should be fixed in Zotero 5.0.38, available now via Help -> "Check for Updates…".
  • Works like a charm. Many thanks!
  • having the exact same problem here, running the 5.0.38 version. please help.
  • @HariHirsch Please follow the step 8 of debugging broken documents and send the snippet to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • Uh oh. No longer working like a charm!
    A new error has appeared:
    this.registry.citationreg.citationById[c[0]] is undefined

I followed step 8 of debugging seem to have found the problem area.

I emailed the problem area to support@zotero.org
  • Hello again,

Just writing to let you know I am noticing a pattern with this error message.

When I copy some citation, let's say "Citation X" from Word Doc A to Word Doc B, Word Doc B starts serving the error message: "this.registry.citationreg.citationById[c[0]] is undefined"
    Word Doc A, however, continues to function normally.
    And, if I remove the offending Citation X from Word Doc B, Word Doc B returns to normal functionality.

So it seems like the problem arises from copying and pasting zotero citations across documents. I used to do this a lot, so I hope the issue can be addressed! If needed, I can try to send an example of an offending Word Doc serving the error message to support@zotero.org.

Just let me know, and thank you for your help.