Highlighted citation no longer exists in your Zotero database...

Output log no. D1247312660
Zotero 3.0.11
Zotero Word Integration 3.1.9

When I try to add a citation or a bibliography to my existing document, I get the above message. All works swimmingly in a new document. I checked a whole page of citations in a new document along with their bibliography. So I don't think there are certain items that have a problem. I think it's bigger than that. I have also re-added items to the library and tried to use them in the existing document and that doesn't work, either. I have been reading about this problem for months and tried numerous suggestions without success. I have used the program on numerous computers and started with a standalone version.
Someone mentioned "group libraries",I can't find one, but I haven't worked with anyone on a paper. Someone mentioned field codes of citations that were not working. This is the citation that the error message always focuses on, which is the 3rd in the paper (dissertation).
"citation ID": "lfa0p6j9vh","citation items": [{"uri":[http://zotero.org/users/725567/items/px3tt8qz"]}
I hope I have given you something that will allow you to help me. I wasn't worried months ago, but now I'm stressed!
Thanks!
  • See if my response at http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/24279/this-entry-does-not-exist-in-your-database-any-more/#Item_2 clarifies things for you. But if you have "Store references in document" checked in the Zotero document preferences in Word, you shouldn't get this message.
  • I have "store references in document" now, but I'm not sure it has always been that way. Is there a way to redo/check/update older references. It seems the older ones are the ones giving problems.
    Thanks!
  • Why is there a problem in existing documents but not new documents?
  • looks like the connection is missing for those old references so also no update. Replace them once and this shouldn't (and likely won't) happen in the future.
  • This happened to be when someone else send me an document who also used zotero for citation. In this case, since his references are not the same as mine (some referenced papers in the document are not in my Zotero db), and they did not store the reference in document, so as I try to use my Zotero to do anything the errors occurs on the existing referenced fields that have no links.

If they can not send you a new copy that has ref stored in document, you will have to delete the failed link before you can cite anything again.
  • edited November 25, 2017
    Hi, for me (using word 2016) what happened is that I would get this error message, and then every time, word would highlight the came citation (nowhere near what I was working on). This citation is likely the one causing the problems for you. For me it was caused by working on another machine and not updating zotero after I created the citation.

You can check by seeing if that specific citation is in your zotero database on this machine- if not then you know it is a bad citation and you can delete it. If you have multiple bad citations then you can find them all one-by-one by seeing which ones word "jumps" to when it gives you the error.

Once you delete all the bad citations zotero should work again.

BTW this happens for me even when refs are stored in document, unfortunately.
  • edited February 28, 2018
    Dear list,

I run into this situation with one of several documents again and again.

My system, Libreoffice 5.4.4.2, zotero 4.0.29.16, Linux debian.
    When this happens
    all citations are lost
    format goes south also. (font, size...)

So far, other documents are OK

cheers

Added on edit:
    It looks like that my problem is "Store references" issue. It works if I check within short interval, but not after long interval. I only log in to zotero to participate in this discussion. I am not positive, but I think it makes sense.
  • @thanatophobic please start a new thread and describe your problem in full. See https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems
  • adomasven,

My failure.
    As soon as I am able to reproduce situation, I will start a new one.
    apology.!