The letter after "â"

The letter after "â" in the middle of the word is transformed to the capital.

For example:

Zotero Library contains: Kitab Fî Mezâhibi’l-Mutasavvıfah
Microsoft Word prints: Kitab Fî MezâHibi’l-Mutasavvıfah

"h" was transformed "H".
  • Is that an author or a title?
  • edited February 2, 2018
    It's a title @adamsmith
  • edited February 9, 2018
    The same problem occurs with -‘-

Mu‘cem is transformed into Mu‘Cem.

Interestingly, these two problems appear when English is selected as language through "Document Preferences".
    When Turkish is selected, they appear right.

Unfortunately, the solution for this problem is very urgent for me. I need your attention.
  • any reason you cannot set the language to Turkish?
  • We are trying a common Zotero style for all theology journals in Turkey. Some journals contain English articles as well as Turkish, and need an English style.

For the transliteration of Arabic books, â and ‘ are also needed.
  • Let me add it, this is a problem not only for our style, but also for all Chicago and APA styles.
  • APA style? Are you sure about that? Chicago is expected. You can just fill out the language field for the Zotero entry, i.e. tr-TR for Turkish and that will disable automatic casing.

• edited February 9, 2018
    Sorry, you are right about APA. I confused it with AAA (American Anthropological Association).

I should try to explain it in another way.

When someone who uses any of Chicago styles or AAA adds an Arabic book to Zotero and it contains â or ‘, Zotero prints capital letters after these two.

So, As far as I see, the problem is related to Zotero app or Chicago styles.
  • I understand the problem. I gave you a solution:
    you can just fill out the language field for the Zotero entry, e.g. tr-TR for Turkish and that will disable automatic casing.
  • Ok. Thank you @adamsmith. That works.

Focusing on why APA does not cause this problem, I found the real reason for this problem.

Chicago keeps text-case of title as "title". Apa, in contrast, keeps it null.

When I changed text-case of title in Chicago from "title" into "null", the problem was solved.
  • That’s not really the best solution. Set the language field in your Zotero items to tr-TR to disable title casing in all styles without having to modify styles.
  • ...especially since you say you want to use this for English titles, too. Those will be incorrect in Chicago style with title case disabled.
  • edited February 18, 2018
    You are possibly right dear @bwiernik and @adamsmith. Thank you very much for your help and guide.

However, I am not sure which one is simpler especially when MANY users use MANY books which require transliteration.

Is having to tell every user, "please add "tr-TR" to language field in Zotero library for all the transliterated books" simpler or just saying "please transform text to Title Case" in title?

I am a bit confused. The second way seems safer to me.
  • The first option though will work with different citations styles, e.g. both APA (which doesn't want title case) and Chicago (which does)
  • In any case this is a bug that should be fixed, right? Is it possibly caused by composite diacritics?
  • Yes, I think this is a bug. I don't think this is a composite diacritic issue, no. For one, I believe Zotero now normalizes those, but also I can replicate that with the standard utf-8 version of the character.
  • Got it. I'm tied down for the next couple of days, will look at it soon, though.
  • FWIW Mu‘Cem is trickier, but I think also a bug. Unless I'm missing something, citeproc should treat ‘ as if it didn't exist, i.e. ‘c at the beginning of a Word becomes ‘C (not sure if that exists in Turkish, but it does elsewhere), and ‘c in the middle of a Word doesn't. (Note that this is the single smart-quote character, not the accent character on the English keyboard). The look very similar in the forum font.
  • That is indeed new logic.
  • Single quote character stands for two letters in transliteration of Arabic and sometimes Turkish books.
    If directed to left, it means Alif in Arabic.
    If directed to right, it means Ain in Arabic.
    Therefore, you can see both of them at the beginninig, middle or end of the words.
    There are Unicode characters for those two, which also appear in Hebrew and Armenian transliterations. Would it be reasonable to limit the fix for this to those special characters? There is a lot of pressure on single-quote already, and it's unlikely we can solve all issues if it's to be handled as alif/ayn as well.
    As far as I understand, you propose to use special Unicode characters instead of single-quotes.
    If so, we will have to say and explain it to every user that faces this problem.
    I am afraid it may cause new troubles.
  • We'll do what we can, then. But where quotes are used in a string, we can't guarantee that quotes, alef and ayn will all be rendered correctly.