access date is missing in bibliography

if some help me in this regard
  • accessed date for web resource is missing in the bibliography. Please help me to solve this problem.
  • This is controlled by the style you use. Which is that?
  • edited February 17, 2017
    If you are looking for "date accessed" in your style, it sounds like you may be using the Turabian version of the Chicago style manual. Turabian requires that the "accessed date" be included, but it's parent, Chicago, does not. My confusion arose because I assumed that there was no style set for Turabian. I was getting incomplete citations because I didn't have the correct style set (Turabian) loaded and was using Chicago, instead. It turns out that many style formats are not included by default in a Zotero installation.

What you need to do is add Turabian to your preferred style sets in your own installation of Zotero.

Go to: PREFERENCES---> Cite
    In the dialog box, there should be a hyperlink labeled: "Additional Styles"
    Clicking on it brings up over 8,500 additional style options in alphabetical order. Locate the one you need and click on it. You will be asked if you want to install the style. Choose "Install" and then close the window.

Now when inserting a citation, the style set you've added will appear in the dialog box. Select it and proceed with generating the citation.
  • (To clarify, most style guides explicitly don't want access dates, so Zotero doesn't include them.)
  • Thanks bwiernik and gordongrant for the help
  • Did the suggestion work for you, frenyrobinson?
  • Yes gordongrant.
  • How about for MLA? Access date is required but it doesn't come across. I can't find an MLA style that brings the access date across
  • MLA's eigth edition doesn't require access dates anymore: https://style.mla.org/2016/12/29/access-dates/

For the 7th edition, you'll need to check "Include URLs" under Cite-->Styles in the Zotero preferences for the style to work correctly. With that setting, I believe you will get accessed dates.
  • Hey frenyrobinson - which format did you use? I am having trouble getting Chic 17th ed. to show date accessed. It says its suppose to but it's not actualizing in word. Any help?
  • Chicago Manual discourages access dates; we don't print them in accordance with that.
  • I have also the same need of natahnveley. Even if Chicago discourages access date, however it seems that "[a]ccess dates are required for sources viewed online when a published date is not provided. Chicago style also allows access dates if instructed by your academic in cases where websites are subject to change. An access date is placed before the URL in a reference." (https://library.westernsydney.edu.au/main/sites/default/files/cite_Chicago.pdf)

I would like to know how I can manually change CSL to have a text BEFORE URL as -for instance-:

"Accessed March 3, 2018"

moreover, is there a chance to enter this data as "03/03/2018" (or 2018-03-03) (keeping the example above) and have automatically the text, as it is ("Accessed March 3, 2018")?

thanks
    theotrst
  • This helped me. I am using the Society of Biblical Literature style, and had to change the style to showed this. I made these changes, and it did the trick for me:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/20258/adding-accessed-date-to-chicago-style
  • I feel that I must say something even if it will be unpopular. Even though Chicago style discourages access dates (and access dates really annoy Sebastian, many others, and me) many, many schools or individual professors require them. This requirement is ridiculous and the reduction of a grade because of the absence of the date is ugly. That said the dates are required and I hope that there can be an optional Chicago flavor that includes the dates.

At my university, there are professors who still insist on the use of APA 5. They do this, in part, to limit students' use of electronic resources. I talked with them (the professors) in attempt to explain the problem and learned that, in fact, one of them requires APA 4*. I foolishly brougt this up at the college and univesity levels. Professors will be allowed any writing style they want to demand.

I don't know if telling of that adventure will support my argument that Zotero should include very common style variants or could be used against my argument. However, 1) the demand for access dates by academic institutions is quite common and 2) Zotero is used to relieve writers of the drudgery of styles so that mental effort will not distract from scholarly thought. Although I argue from a position where I do no work on style development, I do understand the pain of those who must modify their Zotero-assisted writing to meet arbitrary and technically incorrect requirements. I believe that those requirements are common enough to be further considered instead of outright dismissed.

Students who learned to use Zotero from my class on writing, citing and avoiding plagiarism come back to complain or cry when their report receives a lower grade because they exactly followed the style guide. (I now always caution students to follow the instructor rules and modify their manuscript as needed.)

* I was told that she proudly still uses index cards and a typewrtier for manuscripts. She belives that the use of computer word processors and electronic bibliographic aids discourages order, discipline and attention to detail. [snark note] She now teaches only undergraduates and serves an administrative role. She hasn't published since the 1980s.[/snark note]
  • If there was one, I would consider it, but given the situation as you accuratelydescribe it, we'd then have Chicago full note, author-date, note, and ibid/no-ibid each in the 16th and 17th edition with access date and not, so we're not looking at 1 but 5-10 additional styles...