Style Request: Historical Social Research

Hello,
as part of the editorial team of the journal Historical Social Research, I would like to request your help to create a Zotero style. This would make our work and that of our authors and guest editors easier, but also promote the use of Zotero over other (commercial) citation programmes. One of the latter has created a style according to our guidelines "for free" so we don't have a budget for this, for which I am sorry when turning to you. Nevertheless, it would be good if Zotero users could also benefit from this citation style. Thanks in advance!

Here are the informations needed.
link to online style documentation: https://www.gesis.org/en/hsr/faqs/faqs-for-authors/guidelines/
journal's ISSN: 0172-6404

In-text citation:
(Campbell and Pedersen 2007, [pagenumber])
(Mares 2001, [pagenumber])

Bibliography:
Campbell, John L., and Ove K. Pedersen. 2007. The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success. [name of the journal in italics] Comparative Political Studies [name of the journal in italics] 40 (3): 307-32. doi: 10.1177/0010414006286542.
Mares, Isabella. 2001. Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How Does Social Policy Matter to Employers? In [title of the book in italics] Varieties of Capitalism. The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage [title of the book in italics], ed. Peter A. Hall and David Soskice, 184-213. New York: Oxford University Press.

(please note: capitalisation according to CMoS)

link to a freely available paper: http://www.ssoar.info/ssoar/bitstream/handle/document/48875/ssoar-hsr-2016-3-fyfe-Established-Outsider_Relations_and_the_Socio-Genesis.pdf?sequence=1

I hope someone can take it from here, I'd hate it if we had to tell our authors they should use a commercial programme, I'd rather tell them to use Zotero!!
All the best,
O.H.
  • Thanks for formatting the request nicely. The volunteer who does most of these requests should be able to put this one together. (No need for the comments about recommending authors elsewhere…)
  • Thanks for the feedback! (many stories behind those few words, but I really wanted to say I personally appreciate your work)
    All the best,
    O.H.
  • cc @damnation if you haven't already seen this.
  • I'll look at this over the weekend. Keep an eye on this thread.
  • Might be worth also looking at the 16th edition if they want the old DOI format.
  • @damnation & @adamsmith
    yes, you're absolutely right! Our guidelines follow most of Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (author-date), mostly because of the doi format. But there are also a few differences:
    -no comma between second to last and last author name for citations: (Hisakata, Nishida and Johnston 2016; Musk 2006; Hogue 2001; Sambrook and Russell 2001)
    In the bibliography:
    -dashes for pages and dates are short.
    -a URL would have angle brackets and an access date as follows: (Accessed January 16, 2018).
    -if possible, all first names should be spelled out.
    -no quotation marks at all, except if there is a quotation within the title. Italics are the same.
    Thanks again!
  • @adamsmith
    How do I get the dashes to be shorter?

@hayesoh
    Right click and save as and let me know if you need some changes: https://github.com/POBrien333/styles/raw/fce28d9143d08df45cfc13e4655b4fe25179ee36/historical-social-research.csl
  • Hi,

I'm very impressed by the result. There are still a few details, but this is really good.

about the dash: I meant an "en dash" (i.e. the shortest in use, but nothing fancy).

I did a random check with the book with the ISBN 9780128042052, and the result was: Leefmann, Jon and Elisabeth Hildt, ed. 2017. The Human Sciences after the Decade of the Brain. London ; San Diego, CA: Academic Press, an imprint of Elsevier.
    There would be a few changes, as follows: Leefmann, Jon, and Elisabeth Hildt, eds. 2017. The Human Sciences after the Decade of the Brain. London, San Diego, CA: Elsevier.
    Namely:
    -if there are several authors (or editors) to an article or book, there is a comma after the first name of the the first author/editor
    -"eds": plural if there are several, as here; but always "ed." (for "edited by") in a reference to a chapter in an edited book, as in: Aldrin, Philippe. 2011. The Eurobarometer and the Making of European Opinion. In [italics] Perceptions of Europe A Comparative Sociology of European Attitudes [italics], ed. Daniel Gaxie, Nicolas Hubé and Jay Rowell, 17-34. Colchester: ECPR Press. [please note: no comma between second-to-last and last editor in this case; example below]
    -commas between publishing places, instead of semi-colons.
    -just the publishing house (without further detail).

The "ed." and "eds." and commas with another example (sorry for the self-quotation, it was the first that came to mind...) [ISBN 978-3-515-09706-2]
    Wiesing, Urban, Klaus-Rainer Brintzinger, Bernd Grün, Horst Junginger, and Susanne Michl, eds. 2010. [italics]Die Universität Tübingen im Nationalsozialismus[italics]. Contubernium 73. Stuttgart: Steiner.
    --> but an article from the same book:
    Hayes, Oonagh. 2010. Zur Gedenkpraxis der Universität Tübingen in der Nachkriegszeit. In [italics]Die Universität Tübingen im Nationalsozialismus[italics], ed. Urban Wiesing, Klaus-Rainer Brintzinger, Bernd Grün, Horst Junginger and Susanne Michl, 1069-87. Contubernium 73. Stuttgart: Steiner.

Also, when I tried to enter a doi from our journal (for example http://dx.doi.org/10.12759/hsr.42.2017.1.52-76), it wasn't recognised, do you happen to know why? this is quite important for us to know if it's something with our dois...

Thanks again for all the work, although I'm coming back at details, this looks really convincing!
    cheers,
    O.H.
  • edited January 22, 2018
    - re your publishing house. You need to correct that yourself in Zotero. I can only call what's in that cell with CSL.

- DOI: enter it where? what do you mean?

- new version: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/POBrien333/styles/b6fae4dcc0ce2cac7aa10f426907f9c719a70b9b/historical-social-research.csl
  • -ok, thanks for the info about the publishing house, hard for me to know what comes from the Zotero programming and what comes from what is fed into it :-)

-doi problem seems to be resolved, was probably something with my installation.

-the new version is nearly there, thanks for the changes; a few details still:

1. there shouldn't be a comma between the second to last and last editor in the bibliography of a book chapter (example: Hayes, Oonagh. 2010. Zur Gedenkpraxis der Universität Tübingen in der Nachkriegszeit. In [italics]Die Universität Tübingen im Nationalsozialismus[italics], ed. Urban Wiesing, Klaus-Rainer Brintzinger, Bernd Grün, Horst Junginger and Susanne Michl, 1069-87. Contubernium 73. Stuttgart: Steiner.)

2. This doens't appear here in the forum entry, but it does in a text document: the page numbers should separated by an "en dash" but it's an "em dash"

3. I entered one of our dois: 10.12759/hsr.42.2017.2.318-342
    and the result was: Zelko, Frank, and GESIS-Leibniz-Institut Für Sozialwissenschaften. 2017. Scaling Greenpeace: From Local Activism to Global Governance. HSR (GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences). doi:10.12759/hsr.42.2017.2.318-342.
    this is a journal article, so it should appear as:
    Zelko, Frank. 2017. Scaling Greenpeace: From Local Activism to Global Governance. [italics]Historical Social Research[italics] 42 (2): 318-42. doi:10.12759/hsr.42.2017.2.318-342.
    Some of the differences are probably due to the meta data that is provided by the landing page of the doi, but here again, I don't know which is which - any help on this?

thanks again for your trouble!
    Cheers,
    O.H.
  • edited January 23, 2018
    2. You're actually wrong about this. There are three dashes hyphen (-) en dash (–) and em dash (—).
    Standard typography is to use en dashes for numerical ranges and that's what Zotero does. It never uses em dashes. Are you saying you want hyphens instead of en dashes?

As for
    3. You'd need to actually go into Zotero or somewhere else you can check and manipulate the data. You can't expect damnation to parse data issues for you.
    Generally, though, GESIS is issuing DOIs through DataCite, which can't properly handle metadata for journal articles, so import via DOI for those DOIs will never quite work correctly and there's nothing Zotero can do about that (DataCite might improve this in the future).
  • Wow! thanks, my bad!
    about 2.: yes, obviously, you're right. I realize the convention we use is unusual (using a hyphen [!]).
    about 3.: thanks and sorry, as I said, it is unclear to me what comes from where, so you gave me answers about that. I'll see with GESIS what can be done to feed DataCite with meta data it can process, or change something about that. In any case, thanks for the info about the root of the problem.

so, as far as I can see, it's just a comma and a hyphen, and the style is good to go!
  • re 1.: It comes out like this for me:
    Mares, Isabela. 2001. Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How Does Social Policy Matter to Employers? In Varieties of Capitalism. The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage, ed. Peter A Hall and David Soskice, 184–213. New York: Oxford University Press.

There is no comma between Peter Hall and David Soskice.
    @damnation -- doesn't show up in the Mares chapter, but what they're saying is no Oxford commas for editors, so add delimiter-precedes-last="never"

For using the hyphen as page-range delimiter see AMA for an example:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/american-medical-association.csl#L29
  • Hi,

@damnation: ok, if it works for you, I guess it should work in general. I checked with a chapter I entered manually from this book (ISBN 978-3-515-09706-2) which I entered via ISBN. Somehow there is a comma. Maybe because I entered the editors by hand?
    Hayes, Oonagh. 2010. “Verbergt nicht Eure Feigheit unter dem Mantel der Klugheit”: Zur Gedenkpraxis der Universität Tübingen in der Nachkriegszeit. In Die Universität Tübingen im Nationalsozialismus, ed. Urban Wiesing, Klaus-Rainer Brintzinger, Bernd Grün, Horst Junginger, and Susanne Michl, 1069-87. Contubernium 73. Stuttgart: Steiner.
    In any case it would seem to be an exception, so maybe it's not worth extra work on this (unless you see why and can fix it without too much hassle).

the hyphens work perfectly (thanks for getting my point although my feedback wasn't clear!).

last thing on my mind is how articles from our own journal don't appear as journal articles, but I'll check where that can be arranged in the meta data processing via dois, so before Zotero. If push comes to shove I'll come back to you about that...

How do we go from now? will the "Historical Social Research" style be in the next Zotero update? Just so we can tell our authors where to find it :-)

cheers!
    O.H.
    - Yes, the style will be on the repo here https://www.zotero.org/styles and via the app once it's been merged after we're done here. You can then link to it once that's done: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:historical-social-research
    - the comma issue: you need to separate the last name from the first name with a comma within Zotero, so it recognises the two name parts.
  • I'll fix the chapter editors comma before accepting.

If you actually import from your journal into Zotero directly -- using the "Save to Zotero" button -- citations should come out correctly. Only the import by DOI won't work. As long as you're using Datacite DOIs, I don't think you'll be able to get this to work.
  • @damnation
    -cool, that's so user-friendly!
    -the names are separated as they are entered in respective boxes, so it must be something else. But my guess is this is a marginal question.

@adamsmith
    thanks, and yes, I'm going with your hypothesis about DataCite. I'll pass on you tip about importing directly by using the "Save to Zotero" button to our authors, but this reveals a bigger problem concerning our dois and we need to tackle that independently from Zotero. Using dois should work directly, otherwise there's no point.

great work there! thanks!
  • thanks Adamsmith.
  • this is actually not a hypothesis -- I know the DataCite metadata schema inside out and I maintain the script through with DataCite DOIs import to Zotero. You can see the DataCite Metadata kernel here: https://schema.datacite.org/meta/kernel-4.0/index.html and you'll note there's no article item type and, more importantly, no publication, volume, issue, page number information.
    You can (and should) lobby DataCite to improve this -- they've talked about this in the past -- or you could additionally mint CrossRef DOIs (at additional cost, of course) but this cannot be made to work with the current infrastructure.
  • Your insight really helps: we won't be looking forever where the problem is. No easy solution, unfortunaltely... but we're a step further!
    Thanks also for the precisions: we're working at the interface of different departments here, so you've just spared us checking who should take it from here. Quite a time saver!
  • The style is now added and will be available in Zotero within ~1h and in other reference managers once they update their styles.

@hayesoh -- I spoke to the folks from DataCite this week and they promised they'd implement suitable metadata for journal publications, so stay tuned for that. You'd then have to update your Datacite registry entries accordingly.

• thanks for generating the style, and for the insights about DataCite!
    All the best!
    O.H.