Style Request: Historical Social Research

Hello,
as part of the editorial team of the journal Historical Social Research, I would like to request your help to create a Zotero style. This would make our work and that of our authors and guest editors easier, but also promote the use of Zotero over other (commercial) citation programmes. One of the latter has created a style according to our guidelines "for free" so we don't have a budget for this, for which I am sorry when turning to you. Nevertheless, it would be good if Zotero users could also benefit from this citation style. Thanks in advance!

Here are the informations needed.
link to online style documentation: https://www.gesis.org/en/hsr/faqs/faqs-for-authors/guidelines/
journal's ISSN: 0172-6404

In-text citation:
(Campbell and Pedersen 2007, [pagenumber])
(Mares 2001, [pagenumber])

Bibliography:
Campbell, John L., and Ove K. Pedersen. 2007. The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success. [name of the journal in italics] Comparative Political Studies [name of the journal in italics] 40 (3): 307-32. doi: 10.1177/0010414006286542.
Mares, Isabella. 2001. Firms and the Welfare State: When, Why, and How Does Social Policy Matter to Employers? In [title of the book in italics] Varieties of Capitalism. The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage [title of the book in italics], ed. Peter A. Hall and David Soskice, 184-213. New York: Oxford University Press.

(please note: capitalisation according to CMoS)

link to a freely available paper: http://www.ssoar.info/ssoar/bitstream/handle/document/48875/ssoar-hsr-2016-3-fyfe-Established-Outsider_Relations_and_the_Socio-Genesis.pdf?sequence=1

I hope someone can take it from here, I'd hate it if we had to tell our authors they should use a commercial programme, I'd rather tell them to use Zotero!!
All the best,
O.H.
  • Thanks for formatting the request nicely. The volunteer who does most of these requests should be able to put this one together. (No need for the comments about recommending authors elsewhere…)
  • Thanks for the feedback! (many stories behind those few words, but I really wanted to say I personally appreciate your work)
    All the best,
    O.H.
  • cc @damnation if you haven't already seen this.
  • I'll look at this over the weekend. Keep an eye on this thread.
  • Might be worth also looking at the 16th edition if they want the old DOI format.
  • @damnation & @adamsmith
    yes, you're absolutely right! Our guidelines follow most of Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (author-date), mostly because of the doi format. But there are also a few differences:
    -no comma between second to last and last author name for citations: (Hisakata, Nishida and Johnston 2016; Musk 2006; Hogue 2001; Sambrook and Russell 2001)
    In the bibliography:
    -dashes for pages and dates are short.
    -a URL would have angle brackets and an access date as follows: (Accessed January 16, 2018).
    -if possible, all first names should be spelled out.
    -no quotation marks at all, except if there is a quotation within the title. Italics are the same.
    Thanks again!