Greyed out tags?

I've got a bunch of tags that are greyed out when you select "show all tags", even when "My Library" is selected.

These appear to be tags that I manually removed or the file was deleted that contained them. Is there a way to get rid of them?
  • Currently, orphaned tags should be removed when you delete an item. Try creating an empty item and then deleting it.
  • That did the trick. Thank you yet again!
  • Hi. I have two problems with tags. 1 is that I can't see them all when the tag selector is open and there is no scroll bar to see the items that "spill over" on the right.

The second problem is that there are some greyed-out tags that I can't click on and select. I tried the above solution but it didn't work. I'm using sync 1.5 and Firefox 3.0.7.
    THanks!
  • OK, I got rid of the greyed-out tags (deleting the items in my trash did that!), but still cannot see all tags when I'm in MyLibrary and there is no way to scroll to the right to see them all. Thanks.
  • 1. Try increasing the width of the tag selector
    2. Look for and shorten long tags
    3. Use your mouse wheel to access tags.

More info in this thread: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5717/tag-screen-below-libraries-no-longer-allows-scrolling/
  • Thanks -- the shortening long tags is what worked.
  • I couldn't delete my greyed-out tags in any of the above ways. What I did in the end (and it worked) was to rename each missing tag into one of the active tags.
  • I'm having the same problem, with many greyed out tags that are no longer in the library. Trash has been emptied too. I can rename individual grey tags as nygamma did above, but I have far too many greyed out ones to make that practical. Is it possible to do mass selection and renaming of tags (i.e., select all greyed out ones and rename them to a single tag?), or to somehow rebuild the tag database? I'm using 1.5 in Firefox 3.0.8 on OS X 10.5. Thanks!
  • Same problem here. Orphaned tags (greyed out when selecting My Library) can not be deleted. Emptying trash did not help. Deleting "fake" item did not help.

Using: Zotero 1.5b2 / Firefox 3.0.8 / OpenSUSE 11.1 (Linux)
  • Same boat as clausimu. As a result, zotero will not allow me to sync (i get an error message saying that a specific tag is too long).
    Using: Zotero1.5b2.1/Firefox3.0.10/MacOS10.5.6