Too many letters in tag to sync

Hi!
I've added an article with automatic tags where the number of letters in the tags are too many for Zotero to be able to sync. The problem is that the same warning message appears even after I've deleted the tags. I have restarted firefox.
  • Delete an item (it can be a dummy one that you just created) to trigger a purge of deleted tags, after which you should be able to sync.
  • I just tried that, I'm afraid, but without success. I'm unable to sync, though I've deleted all items from the library. I'm getting a sync error on a tag that should no longer exist, plus I have a number of greyed-out tags that I can't delete. Any thoughts would be most welcome.
  • An update: I tried deleting my Zotero profile from FireFox and restarting. That resolved the issue, and sync seems to work fine now.
  • Could you go into more detail about what you did, acavender? I'm having the same problem and would like to resolve it.
  • OK, looks like tag purging in 1.5 Beta 1 is a bit buggy, but here's a workaround: if you've removed a tag from all items and it's still showing up in the tag selector (in gray, in Display All Tags mode), type about:config in the Firefox address bar, hit Enter, and search for the extensions.zotero.purge.tags pref. Set that to true by double-clicking, and then close and open the Zotero pane. The unused tag should be deleted, and the sync should proceed.

You should also be able to avoid this by deleting a long tag directly from the tag selector, but it looks like there are some bugs with tag deletions in Beta 1 as well, including one that causes an error requiring a Firefox restart.

We'll fix these glitches for Beta 2.

Note that deleting long tags is only necessary if you're getting a sync error that specifically indicates a tag length problem.
  • That worked! Thank you, Dan!
  • thank you so much!! that was a huge fix. it makes all the difference in the world.
  • Fix worked for my instance of the problem as well.

Thanks!