Microsoft Word for Mac 15.39 problems

I just updated to the latest version of MS Word for Mac (v 15.39), and I also updated my machine to High Sierra. I just started using Zotero, and when I try to insert a citation, I get the error message:

Run-time error '5': invalid procedure call or argument

The Word plugin appears correctly installed, but I can't edit any citations. Can anyone corroborate this?

For the record, Mendeley gave nearly the same error. It was fine on the previous version of Word. I haven't tried Zotero on the previous version of Word; I tried out Zotero because Mendeley doesn't seem to know what is going on.
  • I cannot get any zotero toolbar to appear in MS Word for Mac 15.39. I have followed all the trouble-shooting instructions. The zotero.dot file was already there in the Word start-up folder, but it still does not appear under the Developer view. I have not yet upgraded to High Sierra.
  • Update: if I click on the zotero.dotm file from Finder, it will load a new Word file with the zotero tab, and it all works fine. But it still does not appear for any other Word files.
  • Update: fixed! I had to re-set the Start-Up location within Word.
  • Clousely, I cannot find the zotero icon to be able to add citations. Can you describe what you did to make this work within Word v. 15.39 on a Mac?
  • Follow the instructions for installing here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation

If installing the plugins from Cite → Word Processor Plugins in Zotero preferences doesn't work, follow the manual installation instructions here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation

Finally, if it still doesn't show up, follow the troubleshooting instructions here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#tab_does_not_appear_in_word_2016
  • My solution was a slight tweak from the manual installation option for Word 2016 for Mac, as follows:

In Word, open the “Word” menu in the top-left of the screen and select “Preferences”. Click on “File Locations” under “Personal Settings” and click on “Startup” at the bottom of the list. This may list your Startup folder location.

If there is no location listed, the default location is ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word (i.e., the Library folder within your home directory).

In my case, a different location appeared rather than no location, so I replaced it with what should have been the default folder, as per the instructions. First I manually verified that the zotero.dotm file was in the Group Container Startup folder, which it was. There were no problems associated with changing the start-up location.
  • im helping with my student macos currently.
    I tried to follow clousley howto above.

only stop in: manually verified .... group container startup folder
    --> ho do i do this ?

my apologize, i am not mac user.
  • In Word, open Preferences (in the Word menu in the menu bar), then click File Locations. If the Startup field is blank, then the default location is being used (~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word). Go to that folder (in Finder, click Go -> Go to Folder in the menu bar) and verify that the Zotero.dotm file is there.