Saving from Google Scholar broken after site change

2»
  • I got @article but I needed to go back to setting to set bibliography manager to show links. Now, when I tried to save citations to Zotero again, it works! Maybe that's the problem. Thanks very much.
  • Hi, I'm still having some problems with the connector on Google Scholar. Tried everything mentioned in this thread, also re-installed everything, nothing seems to make a difference.

Main issue: the connector doesn't work when I search for an individual paper in gscholar by title, or when I try to order search results by date instead of by relevance. The folder icon doesn't appear on such pages.

Debug ID for a search for an individual paper: D1975302820

Thanks in advance for the help!
  • The issue reported here was fixed since. We´d need to see a URL exactly as you see it in addition to your browser and Zotero connector version, please.
    Also make sure that restarting your browser doesn't fix the issue.
  • Zotero Connector 5.0.24
    Chrome Ver 61.0.3163.100 (problem also occurs in Firefox)

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mfvwxlu5mj5xoo/Screenshot 2017-10-03 18.09.43.png?dl=0

Restarting doesn’t work, unfortunately. I've tried everything mentioned in this thread multiple times since last week, reinstalled the Zotero connector and desktop app from scratch, and nothing.
  • OK cool, I can actually replicate that, will try to fix asap. You mentioned a different scenario with sorting. Could you also provide the URL there (no need for the screenshot, just paste the URL exactly as you see it here).
  • That's great, thank you. The other issue was when search results are ordered by date instead of by relevance (the default), for example:

https://scholar.google.be/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=1,5&as_vis=1&q="transformative+works+and+cultures"&scisbd=1
  • OK, all of thes should now be fixed, courtesy of @zuphilip . The translator will auto-update within 24hs or you can force updates from the General tab of the preferences.

@dstillman I think we can unpin this; thanks!
  • Hi, I hope I'm in the right discussion: I have tried all what was mentioned in this discussion but it doesn't work.

The only problem I have is that I can't save metadata from the main page of Scholar when I want to use the multiple choice function (when I want to save more metadata at the same time without entering in every single link of the papers). This is a very big problem when I want to save metadata from papers which has not a link to click for. I paste for you an example

https://scholar.google.it/scholar?hl=it&as_sdt=0,5&q=Co-existence+of+brown+bears+and+men+in+the+cultural+landscape+of+Slovenia&btnG=

I use Safari 8.0.3 on a Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2
    The Zotero version is 5.0.24

PS: Sorry for my english and sorry for any other thing, it's the first time I use the forum
  • Start by updating Safari to version 10
  • Unfortunately I can't update Safari. The only thing I can do is tu update the entire software (thing that I would like to avoid), but I don't know if I do this Safari will update too

One thing I forgot to say is that the multiple choice function is working for other sites, e.g. pubmed, where I can't find papers I'm looking for
  • You should update macOS to the current version, which will also update Safari. It can be unsafe to use an outdated internet browser.
  • edited November 27, 2017
    Hello, I'm having similar issues.

Zotero 5.0.28
    Firefox 52.2.0

Zotero connector and "save to zotero" not working for google scholar, other databases are working fine.

I'm generally only trying to add one item at a time.

Force resetting the translator in connector and zotero standalone will fix the problem temporarily, but it doesn't take long before it stops working again.

Connector error log Debug ID: D1506155736.

Zotero Standalone error log Debug ID D762726776

• The connector basically does not work. I've tried with the latest version of Google Chrome, Safari and Firefox. Nothing works.
  • Unfortunately Google scholar is the most complete database. This is such a pain.
  • Please consider Google Scholar as an index and not a database. Yes, GS is likely the most thorough index to the worlds scholarly literature. However, the metadata obtained directly from GS is, at best, usually incomplete and very often contains incorrect metadata. It is always best to follow the GS link (which will almost always be correct) to the source where you will get complete and correct metadata.
  • Well, but Google Scholar should work with Zotero and does for me, including from the above link. We'd need specific details about errors, including exact URLs from which things fail together with (as ilc provided) debug IDs.

My guess is that the problem form them is just using google scholar a lot and getting locked out, but hard to tell.
  • I agree, GS is a great index and not a super great database, but I have to deal with about 27,000 publications. I would rather deal with the 1000+ errors than click on the 27,000 bloody links like you suggest.
  • See my message above. This generally works.
    But if you're trying to import thousands of publications into Zotero from google scholar, you'll run into problems. Google scholar is very quick to lock out users that look like robots. In my experience that hits as quickly as 40-50 references in, and there's nothing Zotero can do about that. I'd suspect that's what you're seeing. You can test by clicking on the quote icon and then selecting BibTeX.
  • edited November 25, 2017
    If you have to import a lot from Google Scholar, first save them to the Google Scholar My Library, then batch export as a BibTeX file from the My Library view. That will prevent lockout.

If you are doing a systematic review, I’d recommend using actual databases, like ProQuest, Web of Science, or MEDLINE, rather than Google Scholar. In my experience, they tend to yield fewer false positives and to be much easier to work with exporting search results.
  • Thanks for your comments. I know about GS locking people out. I have to answer captcha all the time.

The thing is I basically need to do that only once, and then maintenance is very low bandwidth. I can do them very slowly, like 4 a minute, this will only take two weeks. By hand it will never get done. WoS is no good for computer science and machine learning, it leaves out half the conferences. It is also full of mistakes. Medline is far worse except for the medical stuff. I don't know Proquest but we are not subscribers.

• As I say above, if you have a problem with Zotero and Google Scholar (which, again, works with Zotero in general) you'll need to actually report it in detail.
  • And, in addition to reporting your issues in more detail, my recommendation stands. If you are using Google Scholar to import a large number of items, the only way to avoid being locked out is to first save them to the Google Scholar My Library feature (the blue star), then export from the Google Scholar My Library view as a batch.
  • I have amended my comment - I'm only adding one item at a time so I don't think it's a lock out.

• It is not important if you personally have a request only for one item. For Google is important how many requests were from your IP.
  • Even if you are importing one at a time, if you are doing it in rapid succession, Google will detect this as automated import and lock you out.

Again, please describe exactly what you are doing, the specific errors you are getting, and exact URLs from which things fail, together with (as ilc provided) debug IDs.
  • FWIW I have a colleague who believes that her VPN’s IP may contribute to the GS limit. The GS lock-out threshold is low. Google is very protective of their free product that is presented without ads.

A Zotero debug ID, when requested should be provided. Else, real help with your unique issue cannot be given. The problem could be something other than a GS lock-out. A debug report ID can help determine what that might be.