After years, suddenly sync fails

Dear Zotero,

First of all, thanks for a great piece of software.

After years using Zotero (with webDav, OSX and papership app) suddenly the standalone app fails syncing.

It returns:
"Item 979 not found in Zotero.Sync.Storage.getSyncedModificationTime()"
{file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 2595}]

Full error report ID: 1540768979

What does this mean and how can I fix it?

Is I was working with heavy video-files, at one point my SSD-harddisk and system memory was completely full, while Zotero tried to save a file. Could this be the reason for the sync error?

Thanks in advance.

Espen
  • Dan will have more input, but could you check your database integrity from the Advanced tab of the Zotero preferences in the meantime to make sure that's OK?
  • Dear Adam!

I checked it and Zotero found an error and fixed the problem! Now it uploaded and synced for the first time i 8 days. That was an easy fix - Thanks a lot!

Best,

Espen
  • Commenting on this because I have a somewhat related issue, just hoping EspenLundeNielsen might have som relevant experience.

Zotero syncing to Box.com (or any other webDAV, tried several) works fine. However, Papership (on both Mac OS and iOS) refuses to upload attachments (PDFs) to the webDAV after importing an item with a fulltext PDF attached. Looking within the webDAV Zotero folder, nothing changes at all. The sync to my zotero.org database (and thus Zotero 5.0) works fine both ways.

Is this working for you EspenLundeNielsen? I'm well aware that the Zotero-team doesn't provide any support for 3rd-party services, and the papership-team seems to be logged out for good (?). It really is a shame with such an excellent app.
  • I'd expect this to be a Papership issue -- it unfortunately doesn't really look like their app is supported anymore, so I doubt there's a lot you _can_ do.
  • It is indeed a Papership issue. I just did some trial-and-error debugging, and came to the conclusion that what's not working is webDAV+Papership's import function through its internal web browser, neither on Mac OS or iOS. That function works as intended as long as one uses the Zotero storage option.

So the only options are to 1) keep browsing through one's browser of choice (e.g., iOS Safari and Mac OS Safari), find the PDF, and 'share' it to Papership; or 2) start using Zotero storage instead of webDAV.

Weird!
  • I am new to papership on my ipad; using papership with Zotero storage. My Zotero library is about half a GB.

Papership seems to be synching updates in my Zotero library in general but omits the modifications I made to files on my pad while reading and annotating.

Might my library be to big and it has problems synching? Or did I miss anything in th settings?
  • PaperShip doesn’t appear to properly sync locally-made changes back to the server anymore, and they don’t appear to provide support or intend to update the app any longer. I’m afraid that it is unlikely to be fixed.
  • @bwiernik

What are you advising as the best alternative for papership with an Ipad at this point?
  • I recommend Zotfile’s Send to Tablet feature and/or viewing items on the Zotero web library.

• @bwiernik
    The description on the zotfile page on how to operate their Send to Tablet feature is rather criptic. Would you be able to outline to me how it works, and how to install it?
  • It'd be easier if you could specify what part is cryptic. Are you struggling with the installation or the send to tablet feature?
  • @adamsmith

I am referring to the description below. I am using Zotero Storage and use an Ipad

Syncing pdf attachments with your ipad

To get started, first set up a folder on your PC or Mac that syncs with your tablet reader application.

- I simply use adobe reader.

Files that are copied to this folder should automatically appear in your PDF reader application. One possibility is Dropbox, which is free for up to 2GB of space and works with most PDF reader apps.

- this also possible with Zotero Storage?

Second, open the ‘Tablet Settings’ tab in the zotfile preference window and enable the option ‘Use ZotFile to send and get files from tablet’.

Where are these settings?

Third, change the zotfile location for files on the tablet to the folder that syncs with your pdf reader app (‘Base Folder’ on the ‘Tablet Settings’ tab). Forth (optional), set up subfolders that make it easy to sort your files in the tablet folder so that you can easily find them on your tablet.

You can now start sending pdfs (or other files) to your tablet. Simply right-click on a zotero item and select ‘Send to Tablet’ under ‘Manage Attachments’. When you are done reading and annotating your pdf, just get the file back from the tablet by clicking on ‘Get from Tablet’ under ‘Manage Attachments’. ZotFile will automatically remove the file from your tablet folder and extract the annotations from the pdf file to a zotero note. Alternatively, you can use the ‘Scan Tablet Files’ function in Zotero’s Action Menu to automatically check whether any files in the tablet folder have changed. ZotFile then asks the user how to proceed for each modified file.
  • p.s. It would be really helpful for a lot of Zotero Users if something would be put in place to get things easier for people that work with Apple products.
  • The send to tablet feature relies on having a syncing folder -- box, Dropbox, google drive -- where you send the files to read on your tablet -- it's entirely separate from Zotero sync, so no, Zotero storage does not work.

As for "where are these settings --
    Do you have ZotFile installed? If so, the ZotFile preferences next to the Zotero preferences in both Zotero 4 and 5.
  • thank you. Now things are falling into place!
  • @adamsmith
    last 'idiot question'- where can I find Zotero’s Action Menu ?
  • That doesn't exist anymore in Zotero 5 -- most functions are in the regular menu now -- what are you looking for specifically?
  • That is just the standard Zotero Preferences you’ve been using (under the “Zotero” menu on Mac or the “Edit” menu on Windows/Linux).
  • Was looking for the

‘Scan Tablet Files’ to automatically check whether any files in the tablet folder have changed.

Or is this incorporated automatically now?