[5.0 Beta] Connector for FF displays "You've installed the Zotero Connector!" every time

Ever since I upgraded Zotero to 5.0 Beta, the Zotero Connector for Firefox displays the dialog "You've installed the Zotero Connector!" every time I reopen Firefox. (also reported here)

I've submitted a debug output D1133766710 from the Connector regarding this issue.

It might have to do with the message (3)(+0005376): Message `Connector_Browser.injectScripts` has no callback arg. It should use the returned promise
  • Setting firstUse to false
    Can you provide a Report ID as well? Debug ID doesn't currently include all the info we need in the connector.

Does this happen with other Firefox extensions disabled? Zotero checks the pref above — which is stored in the extension's localStorage — before showing that dialog, so the fact that it's happening again after a restart would suggest that something is clearing localStorage.
  • I just looked but Zotero Connector doesn't actually recognize any errors.

The cause of the problem seems to be in the privacy settings in Firefox. Under Accept cookies from sites I originally had Keep until: I close Firefox selected. Once I changed that to Keep until: they expire, the Zotero message doesn't seem to appear any longer.

It's somewhat troubling for me as I personally don't want to keep undesignated cookies and caches. Anyway I can whitelist Zotero in Firefox such that the cache will be kept stored?
  • edited January 29, 2017
    Hmm, that seems potentially like a Firefox bug — not that it clears localStorage (which would make sense from a privacy perspective, because otherwise sites could just use localStorage to get around that setting) but that it applies to the localStorage of extensions. Issue created. We'll investigate.
  • Actually, what Firefox version is this? I can't reproduce this in Firefox 51.0.1. With "Keep until: I close Firefox" set, the extension's localStorage is still present after a restart, and I don't get the first-run prompt again.
  • As far as I can tell, in 51.0.1 the setting that causes this is "Always use private browsing mode" — in which case "Keep until: I close Firefox" is enabled and also grayed out. Without that setting, I don't see this even with "Keep until: I close Firefox" enabled. It's possible this was different in an earlier version of Firefox. In any case, we'll investigate whether there's a way around this in the current version.
  • edited January 29, 2017
    I'm using Firefox 51.0.1 on Ubuntu 16.04.

Yeah, one first needs to select Use custom settings for history under History in the "Privacy" setting. The custom settings otherwise won't appear (sorry, I should have mentioned that at the beginning).

I then have "Remember my browsing and download history", "Accept cookies from sites", "Accept third-party cookies: Never", "Keep until: I close Firefox" enabled.
  • I seem to be able to replicate the problem using a different Firefox profile when I have "Accept third-party cookies: Never" and "Keep until: I close Firefox" enabled.
  • Right, I was just saying I couldn't reproduce that without "Always use private browsing mode". But it seems like the difference here is just that anything already set before enabling "Keep until: I close Firefox" remains after restart. If I manually clear the storage and then enable that setting (but not "Always use private browsing mode"), I can reproduce this with just that setting.

It looks like Mozilla is aware of this issue, so we'll keep an eye on it. In the meantime, a fix would be to disable that setting, click through the first-run prompt, and then reenable it (possibly with some combination of restarts in there).
  • edited August 4, 2017
    A new version of the Firefox Connector is now out that should fix this. Upgrade to 5.0.12 and let us know if you still have any trouble.
  • Scratch that — we've pulled 5.0.12 for Firefox to investigate a problem. We'll post again when a new version is available.
  • OK, 5.0.13 is now available.
  • Yeah, the latest update has fixed the issue for me. Thanks for your work!!
  • Yes, this is working for me now too. Thanks :)