[5.0.6] Items not moved between collections

edited July 23, 2017
I used to drag and drop items from one collection to another. When pressed SHIFT, them items moved.
In 5.0.6, they are copied but not moved.

Also the collection does not refresh the deleted items. After deletion, I have to change collection in order the see without the deleted items.

Report ID: 95556038

Thanks for your help.
  • The refresh issue happens also when I edit an item in the right panel: the changes are not reflected in the central panel. I have to change collection to see the changes in the central panel.
  • Shift-drag to move still works for me. But so does refreshing, so this sounds like a more general issue. Do you still see this after restarting Zotero? If so, can you provide a Debug ID for a shift-drag that copies instead of moves?
  • And if this does still happen after restarting, what about after disabling ZotFile and Zutilo?
  • Thanks, @dstillman.
    After restarting Zotero, it does refresh correctly.

But it is not the first time that it does not refresh. If it happens again, I'll send a Debug ID.
  • Today, another issue happened.
    After copying a item from a group library, the items in my library are not displayed.
    Report ID 754692239

If I add a new item, I can edit it in the right panel, but the central panel remains empty. If I move the cursor up/down, I can see the items in the right panel, but not in the central.
    The Debug ID is D872796704.

I disabled Zutilo, but the issue remains. I disabled ZotFile, and restarted Zotero. I can edit without problems. I'm now working without add-ons. Let us see if there are not issues.
  • Hi @dstillman
    The refresh issue appeared again.
    I'm working with ZotFile and Zutilo disabled.
    I copied again an item from a group library. The item appeared in my library, but when I tried to duplicate it in order to create a book section, the central panel did not refreshed. I have to change collection to see the updates.

The Debug ID is D725757542.
    Thanks for your help.
  • If it may help, I'm adding another occurrence.

I drag a file to an item. If the item is expanded, the attached file does not show. After collapsing and expanding again, the file shows in the central panel.

If I rename it, the central panel does not refresh, even if I collapse and expand the item. I have to change collection to see the new name.

The Debug ID is D1880194429.
  • This is related to what is happening to me here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/66483/zotero-5-2-does-not-refresh-when-performing-actions#latest

Nothing is wrong after the restart, but within a few minutes various actions do not refresh. Besides the cases described here and in my thread: Editing any field in the record, including item type, does not display in the middle pane. Adding an item via the browser stalls before adding a pdf, then after I restart zotero adds two records for the item I tried to add once. Using zotfile to rename and move an item leaves the original pdf attachment visible in addition to the new moved one, but when I click on the old pdf it says nothing can be found.

Again, these things do not happen initially but only after using Z for a few minutes while actively editing/adding records. I have to close and open an item to see changes in the attached pdf. I have to click away from a collection and back constantly to see any changes in an item. When I add or edit may items quickly I have to restart every 5 minutes or so to get Zotero to perform again as it should, but after a few minutes it's back to not refreshing.

This could be related to the way the sync works now. When I add several items in a row, first Zotero syncs every few seconds, then either the sync stops happening at all, or the arrow keeps going on and on even after I try stop the sync.
  • Yes, @erazlogo, maybe it is related to your issue.

I just updated to 5.0.7, and played around for a few minutes, adding, editing and deleting items. I had no problems.

During some days from now, perhaps I cannot give further feedback. I hope that the issue was solved.
  • @erazlogo: If this happens within a few minutes of starting up, can you generate debug output from the startup and just let it run until the problem occurs, and then submit it?
  • Unfortunately, the issue was not solved in the new version. After a while, the middle panel fails to refresh.
  • edited July 25, 2017
    Ok, I got it to reproduce most errors (except tags--those were working perfectly this time) and not sync for 14 minutes, then I initiated sync manually, waited for it to spin for 3 min, then stopped manually. The sync did happen--the latest records did show up on the website--but the arrow kept spinning after I clicked the "stop" button and up until I restarted (I waited for half a minute or so for it to stop). After I restarted, I got two of the same items for the last reference I added via the browser.

Just before restart: Debug ID is D430747882

After restart: Debug ID is D700128301.
  • edited September 8, 2017
    Unfortunately, the problem remains also in 5.0.17. If I delete or edit an item the changes are not displayed in central panel. I have to change collection to see the change.

Is there anything that I can do?
    Thanks.
  • 5.0.18 and 5.0.19 should fix some additional refresh problems that could occur in some situations. Let us know if you're still having trouble.
  • Thanks, @dstillman.
    However, I still have some refresh problems.
    This time, it relates to notes created and deleted.
    Debug ID is D1716425682.

Thanks for your attention.
  • @pnunolima: Can you describe exactly what the problem is?
  • Thanks, @dstillman

I'm using now 5.0.20, and I had no problems with the new version.
    Let's see...
  • Unfortunately, the refresh issue is still present in 5.0.21
    Debug ID is D1250459900

I added a note, but nothing changed in central panel or note panel. If I change collection, I can see that the note was added. The same happens when a note is deleted.

• If you select My Library, restart Zotero, and add a new note, does this happen? If not, what exact steps do you have to take to get it to occur?
  • Thanks, @dstillman

If I restart Zotero, it works fine, for a while.

I did not paid attention before, but today I realized that I happens while the sync arrow is spinning.
    Debug ID is D748258397

These are the steps:

1. restart Zotero
    2. add a note: it works fine
    3. make advanced search (while syncing): the item searched is not selected in My Library
    4. add a note (while syncing and after): the note is added, but it does not appear in the panel central (it appears when I change collections)

• However, the issue seems not related with syncing.

Now, after restarting Zotero and waiting a while, I deleted an item. Then I added a note. The central panel did not refreshed.

The Debug ID is D2122235090.
  • Perhaps the issue is related with advanced search.

The Debug ID is D1544437955.

These are the steps:

1. restart Zotero
    2. make advanced search
    3. select an item in advanced search dialogue box
    4. jump to central panel
    5. add a note: the note is added, but it does not appear in the panel central
  • edited September 28, 2017
    The key would be steps that make it always occur. Are any of those a reliable way to get it to happen? (Selecting from an advanced search works for me, by the way.)

See my questions here for some things to check: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/287216/#Comment_287216