"Could not find a running Word instance."

edited July 10, 2017
This discussion was created from comments split from: Word, Zotero and Onedrive for Busines..
  • Also having problem, Not using Onedrive, zotero Standalone, Word 7, Win10. Using it with no problem extensively for years, then this starts.
    I have a whole body of work with hundreds of refs...
  • Having the same problem - on and off, running Zotero Standalone, and Word 2007. Been successfully loving Zotero for years.

In the past, the problem seems to fix itself when I reboot. This time, no such luck. Any help greatly appreciated.

(Could not find a running Word instance. [getDocument:document.cpp:135]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationApplication::getDocument])
  • Does this happen in a new document too?
  • There's an error in Windows 10 that we have been unable to reproduce ourselves, but people report that running Zotero (or both Zotero and Word) as Administrator helps.
  • Error happens in new document as well.
  • yes, thank you, running both as admin is a 'fix' that works, and I remember now, a year or more ago I used to run both as admin, probably for the same problem. Then I did a reinstall of my windows 10, and problem went away.

Odd thing that the problem would now return intermittently. Fixed it with reboot once or twice, this time reboot did not work. Problem did not start again this last time after doing a win10 update or making any other changes that I remember.

Strange problem.
  • If you are able to find a way to reliably reproduce the problem, that would be very helpful for being able to fix it.
  • It sounds like it currently is "reliable" for everyone who is experiencing this. It's just not clear what's different for them than for other W10 users.
  • So, update on this problem - just updated to v5.0.8, which did not start as admin, and no problem accessing Zotero from Word.
    Don't see reference to this problem "Could not find a running Word instance." in changelog, but perhaps one of the bug fixes inadvertently fixed it?
    Whatever the case, thank you Zotero developers. We appreciated you.